1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CPU has tem 75 C in software, but 35 C in bios

I downloaded a motherboard monitor program (MDM) for a PVR software that uses it as a pluggin. After installing it it showed that my CPU was 75 C, but even after having my PC on for a whole day and restarting and looking at the CPU temp in BIOS it only shows 35 C. My PC hasn't been doing anything funny and I would have never thought anything if I didn't download MDM. I'm going to use this PC as a HTPC so it will be on all the time, is this something I should worry about or is the BIOS always the most accurate CPU temp reading??

Thanks.

Matasonic 9127C
    Celeron 2.4
    768 DDR RAM
  3. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

i would trust the BIOS, it is written by the people most familiar with the chips on the board, the motherboard may have some funny chips that report 50 degrees high and needs to be compensated for in software

and if it was actually that hot i would suspect the CPU would start throttling and make you computer really slow
  5. www.devhardware.com/forums

While I agree with edman007, I wouldn't rule out the other softwares completely. One more option you have is to download CPU-Z, Lavalys Everest Home Edition, or SpeedFan and verify results you got from your first application. That would help you verify if your tool is screwed up or your system..
    For your more complex hardware related problems, visit DevShed's sister forums: DevHardware
    If you don't already know about it, please checkout our guide to Folding@Home . Join DevHardware team and help cure diseases. Your support is valuable and much appreciated. *
  7. No Profile Picture

I tried SpeedFan and the results were the same as MDM. I'm not all familiar in this area, but SpeedFan shows the sensor 1 temp to be the same as the CPU temp in bios, but sensors 2 and 3 show 70 C plus, but I don't have an option for this reading in the BIOS to check, it just displays the CPU temp, so I'm not sure what sensor 2 and 3 are for, but they are under the CPU section.
  9. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Well, I can assure you at 70C you would probably be smelling smoke. I would see if your board manufacturer recommends a program. I've had tricky results from MDM in the past as well.
    Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Are your temps in Windows under load?

In BIOS, typically the CPU isn't under full load on newer machines. For example, my load temps at 2.5GHz on my A64 (folding, of course ) hits about 51C max, but at idle it's around 36-38C, which is what the BIOS shows when I'm mucking around in there.

If your BIOS is showing 35C, I would guess your load temps shouldn't be bad at all. Most likely MBM is set to the wrong sensor type - there are various types of sensors that communicate data differently, so if MBM is reading data from the senor but translating that data under the pretense of a different sensor's operations, it's probably misinterpreting the data and giving a flawed result.

For example, using MBM, I'm using the WinBond 2 Diode - the one automatically detected for me - and I get proper temps. If I set it, to, say WinBond 1, suddenly my CPU is reported to be running at 15C.

What the sensor type is depends on the motherboard. IIRC MBM tries to pic a sensor for you at install by asking some questions about your hardware, but I've never heard of a Matasonic motherboard before (if that is your motherboard).

So, I just checked their website, and on there, their motherboard list. Matsonic is indeed listed, but your particular model is not.

Looking at the list, the board most similar to yours is the 9417c, which uses the SIS950/ITE8705F 2 CPU sensor and the SIS950/ITE8705F 1 case sensor. I'd try those first. If they seem to be giving bogus info, we'll have to try some others things to determine your sensors.

Hope this helps.

[EDit] Concerning what you said about different sensors in SpeedFan... that's probably exactly what you're looking for. The other two sensors probably aren't actually there - it's the sensor type. You're not selecting, I think (though I've never used SppedFan) which sensor you're reading from, you're telling SpeedFan how to interpret the data its recieving from the sensor. If taken at idle, the temp should be very close to the one you get in BIOS. The one you mentioned in SpeedFan probably was the correct one.
  13. No Profile Picture

heh im a little slow replying to this but i also recently got Motherboard Monitor and uh i would check the settings to make sure its showing C and not F since it does have the option to display in both...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo