Thread: CPU Temp.

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CPU Temp.

Would anyone have any idea to why my cpu runs cooler with Linux than Windows? I have no clue to why its cooler with Linux but it is, along with chip set temps.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Perhaps you have more programs running in windows? Less load == less temperature.

I run both on my desktop, and there is no difference in temperature between the two. For linux, I use Gentoo with a lot of extra goodies running(such as X and gnome), which is probably why my temp is more equivalent to my windows temp.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I was thanking it may have something to do with that but I wasn't to sure though, I've just got into using Linux so I'm not real sure of its workings. Thanks for your reply
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Always happy to add my opinion

I'm a recent convert myself, and I have to say, I learned loads, pardon the pun, more about computers in the first month of using linux than I did with years of using Windows. Stick with it, it's definitely worth it.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I know what you mean, I've done the same thing, I thank I'm going to stick with it, I can do everything I do with windows with it plus alot more
  11. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

do you have fan speed control enabled in the BIOS, and i am guessing that to measure the temp in linux you used lm_sensors right? well on some motherboards (such as the pc4800-dlx) lm_sensors messes with the BIOS fan control and it kicks the fan to 100% all the time (even at idle), windows does not do this and that would cause the temp difference

for those motherboards with the affected temp sensors there is a way to fix it (only really needed if you have a loud CPU fan like me), but i can't find it right now
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well I'm running dual Intel Xeons and the board doesn't control fan speed, its the same speed all the time. When I run windows on it the cup temps run close to 60c and with Linux they run a little over 40c. I understand what you were talking about but the board doesn't control the fan speed, the only thing I could possibly thank of that would do it is less processes running in the background, but thats just a guess
  15. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Been told its because the Linux kernel uses halt instructions much more than Windows.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo