1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Smile CPU temp is negative

I have an AMD Athlon xp 2000+ pc. The computer keeps restarting so i checked the bios and saw CPU temperature showing -55C/ -131F. Is this a possible reason for the BSOD I keep getting?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

What is the message on the BSOD?

It is quite possible that an invalid (unless you're in a freezer) temperature measurement would cause a failsafe to kick in and give you your bsod.
  5. No Profile Picture

i guess your CPU chip is overheating. make sure your heatsink is free from dust and your cpu fan is running correctly according to the specific speed for the CPU chip..
  7. No Profile Picture

If it restarts run a Prime95 test to check for stability. If it crashes you have a cooling problem. Also try CoreTemp which is free.
  9. Contributing User

Or the sensor isn't connected properly or gotten loose if you always used to get proper temperature measurements. In this case you want the error code and application name from the BSOD and google for more information on what's causing it.
    Quality European Web Hosting - LDHosting.com
    High Quality, Low Cost Web Hosting Services
    www.ldhosting.com
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by LDHosting
    Or the sensor isn't connected properly or gotten loose if you always used to get proper temperature measurements. In this case you want the error code and application name from the BSOD and google for more information on what's causing it.
    Broken sensors would not cause BSODs.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Unless you're running a phase change/cascade unit you won't hit negatives. Most likely pulling from the wrong probe which is a bit odd. Have you updated your BIOS firmware as of late?
  15. No Profile Picture

if its an old computer, clean it out, see if that helps overheating. as the sensor is, its probably jsut stuck or whatever you're using to read it is not reading the right one.
  17. Contributing User

I might be mistaken, but I think some BIOSs report the CPU temperature as negative as it means 'this many degrees until the CPU is running above the maximum temperature', so -55 degrees could mean that the CPU is 55 degrees below its maximum temperature.

Is the temperature lower upon startup than after the system has been running for a few minutes?
  19. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

This thread is almost a year old.

Also, I've never heard of a temperature sensor measuring CPU temperature in that way.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  21. Contributing User

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    This thread is almost a year old.
    My bad - I didn't check the date.

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    Also, I've never heard of a temperature sensor measuring CPU temperature in that way.
    I haven't got first hand experience of it being measured this way, however I happened to read at http :// www. pugetsystems.com/blog/2009/02/26/intel-core-i7-temperatures/ states the following:

However, what the CPU sensor reports is not an absolute temperature, but rather how far the temperature is from the maximum safe temperature. So if your CPU’s maximum temperature is 100C, and you’re running at 60C, the sensor will report -40 as its value.
    so thought I'd mention it as a possibility.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo