Thread: Cpu Temperature

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Angry and u think that's HOT???

lol My p4 2.6Ghz is running at 71C almost melting....
    Idle is usually around 55 and its not overclocked
    ARGHHH i have a thermaltake A1715 cpu cooler running at 6000rpm
    Both sides of my case are full open
    MOBO temp is 35
    Room temp is 20C

I dunno what is causing the temp being so high
    Anyone can help?

thx
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

I would make sure you're getting good contact between the heatsink and the cpu. If you haven't already, try some arctic silver 5 thermal paste and reseat the heatsink, checking to be sure you have complete contact.
    Also clean off any dust build up.
    Where are the temp readouts from?
    And in the future, make your own thread.
    Last edited by karsh44; August 3rd, 2004 at 04:44 PM.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. No Profile Picture

I just installed the thermaltake cpu cooler yestarday...
    I replaced the stock hs/fan yestarday couse my cpu temp readings were too high but thermaltake is not helping
    i used the thermal paste that came with the thermaltake cooler, wich being new is clen and shiny.

The temp readouts are from my BIOS, wich are equal to Fuzzy Logic 4 (lil proggy that comes with my MOBO)

I just installed hardware sensors monitor ( hsensor) and it reads 5C below my BIOS/fuzzy logic 4 wich is almost the same as we are speaking of very high temp's

I just managed to raise my cpu temp to 85 (yes eighty five degrees celsius ) playing a game
    And the cooper heatsink is well pressed against cpu and the fan is at 6250rpm +/- lol

I dont know how it doesnt melt lol... it is working fine and i cant believe it hehe

but when playing games my pc reboots itself alot and think is becouse cpu temp

wtf should i do next? im confused
    thanks for trying to help

EDIT : My sys specs: (WIN XP PRO english SP1)
    350W PSU
    MSI MOBO (865P-Neo)
    P4 2.6Ghz
    2x512 DDR RAM
    2x Seagate 7200rpm HD's
    1 dvd reader
    1 cd recorder
    ATI Radeon 9500 Pro 128Mb

Do u think my psu can have something to do with it?
    Can the voltage influence temperature?
    (My Case is open in BOTH sides so plenty of air for him to breath hehe)
  7. Just another guy

Where is the computer located? (The actual box)
    You need space around it for airflow.
    --Dave--

9. No Profile Picture

My specs above

the box is open in my livingroom with lots of space around...
    u can see a picture of cpu temp with only 2 ie windows open here and my livingroom here .

Thank you.
  11. Just another guy

I see the cpu temp of 51 there, which is still warm, but not panic inducing like 80+. I would double check that you installed the new heatsink well. (You did clean off the cpu before installing, right?)
    Arctic Silver 5 will do a better job than the paste that came with the heatsink. You need to allow a burn-in period, during which temps will drop, but you're way too high anyway. You could run a fan at the open side of the case and see if that helps.
    Are you in an air conditioned room?
    --Dave--

13. Shes dancing (obviously)
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by P@ck3tL0$$
    The temp 39-50 is not a bad temperature for an AMD processor overclocked (but its not great). What kind of heatsink/fan are you using?

my temp:
    AMD Athlon Thoroughbred B 2100+ overclocked to 2700+
    -I moved the FSB from 133 to 166
    My idle temp is around 30 at full load temp is 40.

I have a Thermalright SLK-800a heatsink and an antec 80mm fan on it running at 2900RPM.
    how did u get it that high?
    i tried doing the same with my cpu (same chip) - i was monitoring the temp which stayed constant around 44 deg C but the system started freezing when i pushed the fsb above 150 and bails out of doom 3 with anything over 144, when i restarted i just got a ! on the screen, had to leave it off for 5 mins then rush into the bios to slow the freq down, have the speed at around 1.89 now (up from 1.66) but i need a little extra speed to run doom3 , got plenty of fans to keep it cool to
    Last edited by StealthElephant; September 6th, 2004 at 05:25 AM.

microsofts butterfly is their way off telling u their systems have a **** load of buggs
    Advocating Linux Guide
    Lesbian Linux
    Great & Practical Computer Books

like the links?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hot.. hmm

I got a duron pro1800 which runs at 1.26ghz. runs 57 degrees c idle, 62 degrees when gaming or full load. Only a cheapy cooler.
    UK Xen 3 VPS hosted on Supermicro Hardware
    Free HyperVM | 24 Hour Setup | Based In UK!
    cPanel 11 | DirectAdmin | LxAdmin HIB | Management
    What are you waiting for? Visit PC Smart Hosting
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by stevie_k
    Hey guys I have an amd athlon 2.6 and it is heating up to 85 degrees and that is just looking at it in bios. The fan is a volcano 9 and its at full power 5200rpm which is very noisy. Im using coolermaster thermal paste. I have 2 other processors that are identical and they give me no problems whatsoever in this motherboard. The settings are simply set to auto. the board is a K7TRITON GIGABYTE 7N400-L1

What on earth could cause this CPU to be getting so hot? do you think I have a case to send this back to where i got it from? its about 11 months old now, it was like this when i bought it. I just put it in a pc i dont use very much and forgot about it but now its bugging me. Cheers for any input
    Stevie, have you checked the bridges on the CPU, if they are linked and arnt supposed to be, this could up the voltage to the CPU thus making it overheat, on my amd duron if you link the L7 bridges it increases the voltage and overheats it, look for a closeup pic of ur CPU and compare them. hope this helps!
    Paul
  19. cheers to new beginnings

I have a 1.8ghz AthlonXP+ and it runs at about 60degrees celcuis when gaming or idle.

What's the normal temperature for a AMD processor to be operating under ?.
    Keston.E: http://roxihost.com
    "When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King."
  21. Shes dancing (obviously)

Originally Posted by Keston.E
    I have a 1.8ghz AthlonXP+ and it runs at about 60degrees celcuis when gaming or idle.

What's the normal temperature for a AMD processor to be operating under ?.
    thats high, supposed to be aaround 55 when busy

microsofts butterfly is their way off telling u their systems have a **** load of buggs
    Advocating Linux Guide
    Lesbian Linux

like the links?
  23. cheers to new beginnings

It's been that temperature ever since I purchased the CPU with the AMD reccomended heatsink included.
    Keston.E: http://roxihost.com
    "When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King."
  25. Shes dancing (obviously)

mine was higher, but i didnt have a proper air flow in the case so i went over board now my pc sounds like a vacuum cleaner, but temp nice and low

Advocating Linux Guide
    Lesbian Linux

like the links?
  27. No Profile Picture

Angry Temperature often underestimated!!!

Here are a few things I hope will help solve heat problems.
    One of the first things you want to do is download some sort of monitoring program, I've got Hardware Monitor III which works fine. Check your bios to see if the program and bios indicate more or less the same numbers. CPU temperatures are more or less related to their fabrication process. The new AMD 64 chips fabricated at 90nm will produce less heat as a AMD 64 at 130nm at the same speeds. But overall I think you could say that you want to try and keep your cpu temperature below 50 C, even or specially during stress. The ambient temperature has to be at least 10 C below your aimed cpu temperature so somewhere below 40 C is ok.
    I focussed more on getting the ambient or case temperature down than on cooling the cpu itself. My standard midi tower case with standard cheap (30$/E) powersupply (the only case fan!!!) was keeping my case real nice and hot with case temperatures around 50 C. At these temperatures my cpu would never be cooled below the preferred 50 C .
    The first and most expensive thing I did was replacing that crappy PSU with a decent AMD certified PSU. I bought an Enermax (+/- 65 $/Eur) with 2 large fans!!!, one at the rear and more importantly one at the bottom, sucking the air away from your cpu cooling block. It took a whopping 10 C off my case temperature. Not only does it do a better job in cooling the case but this PSU comes with 2X the amount of psu-connectors at longer lengths.
    Still I found that my ambient temperature was to high at 40 C. So I tried to improve the airflow through the case by adding case fans. This will probably cost some time because simply adding fans will not always give sufficient results. At first I just put a tiny 5x5 at the rear where there was room for one. This did not help to much, just a minor 1 or 2 C lower.
    Adding a new 8x8 in the front low did help a little bit more some 2 to 3 C, but it still wasn't to satisfying. So now iI did something a bit more drastic, I drilled some (a lot of holes in the top of the case between psu and cd-rom. I put a 9x9 fan in there . It took another 5 degrees off!!!. More strange though is that I recently removed the front intake fan and it doesn't really seem to matter . So basically adding a top casefan 9x9 will decrease temperature by 7-8 C .

standard midi case
    Enermax 365W rearfan 8x8, bottomfan 9x9
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    1 gb 266mhz DDR
    gf fx5900xt
    hdd 40gb 5200rpm
    hdd 80gb 7200rpm
    DVD RW
    CD RW
    (top) Casefan Enermax 9x9
    (rear top) 5x5
    Temperature; idle= 32C (case) 38C (cpu stock cooling)
    Stress= 38C ,, ,, 46C ,, ,, ,, ,,

Remember if you experience hickups or slow processing it can easily be a heat problem overlooked. Often check if your fans are still working and your computer will show her love to you .
    I used to have a lot of system crashes during gameplay. Now it's practically gone, aside from various bugs in games .
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo