March 9th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Just another guy
Join Date: Jun 2003
Originally Posted by asc
I have a couple of questions regarding Athlon CPU's.
(1) What is the difference between the Barton and the Thouroughbred CPU's? Which one is newer and which one is faster?
(2) What CPU can you recommend (should be powerful enough for 3D gaming but not too expensive)?
(3) Which RAM's do I need (PC-333 or PC-400)? Do I have to buy CL2 RAM's?
(4) Does anybody know RAM's from Apacer? Any exerience with these?
Thank's in advance,
1) The Barton is newer, has a larger cache (512 vs 256k), and supports a faster fsb. The Barton also has the highest available clock speeds. Look here
for specs on both processors.
2) Depends what you think is too expensive. AMD's are generally cheaper than Intel, but not quite as fast (2400+ not quite as fast as 2.4c P4 overall). The P4c is probably more overclockable. 3d gaming depends just as much or more on the video card overall, so if you're over 2Ghz or so (2000 or 2200+) you're probably better off spending more on video if you're on a limited budget.
3) You want to match your memory speed with your fsb speed. However, if you have faster RAM, it will downclock to whatever the fsb speed is, and if you plan to overclock, you do probably want faster ram, so you have more bandwidth available when up the fsb. Lower latency will give you slightly better performance, but not a lot compared to higher speeds overall.
4) Don't know/use apacer. Have used kingston and mushkin, both good. Have also heard good things about ocz, crucial, and corsair.
My hobby: collecting US coins