1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Duocore vs single?

So I'm trying to figure out which processor I should get, but I need to know what I want out of a processor and what I should go for.

Basically, I was talking to a friend who knows tons about computers and I was trying to figure out the what makes dual cores so much better than single core processors. Because dual processors are like 2Ghz..and single cores are like 3.2Ghz for 1/2 the price. And since the dual core processors speeds don't add up, it doesn't make too much sense, and also my friend said the dual cores don't work together really, you have to program em or something....

so why should i get a 2.4Ghz core2duo over a 3.2+ single core processor?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing (ab{normal})User

Originally Posted by enigma322
    So I'm trying to figure out which processor I should get, but I need to know what I want out of a processor and what I should go for.

Basically, I was talking to a friend who knows tons about computers and I was trying to figure out the what makes dual cores so much better than single core processors. Because dual processors are like 2Ghz..and single cores are like 3.2Ghz for 1/2 the price. And since the dual core processors speeds don't add up, it doesn't make too much sense, and also my friend said the dual cores don't work together really, you have to program em or something....

so why should i get a 2.4Ghz core2duo over a 3.2+ single core processor?
    It really depends on your usage, if you multi-task, do a lot of thigns at once, use highend desktop applications, you should go dual core, as the optimizations in the newer CPUs are much better, even at 1ghz for each coreit would probably about equal the preformance of a 3.2 ghz P4 in those multi-threaded tasks.

If you do gaming, or simple work like web browser, text editors, etc, then a single core and saving some money is the way to go (very few games multi-thread well for the CPU, but the GPU is a different story)
  5. No Profile Picture

plus if you go with the Intel Core 2 Duos you can overclock to well over 3.0Ghz but thats only if you know how to overclock and understand the risks of OCing
  7. No Profile Picture

Whats the GPU? and yea i think im gunna go for the core2 duo...2.4Ghz. i like gaming and doing a lot of stuff on the comp.
  9. :)
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

GPU = Graphics Processor

From what I heard Core2Duo is about 30% faster than CoreDuo. If you are going for the Core2Duo, I would recommend at least the E6600 because it has a better cache than anything below it.
  11. No Profile Picture

Yea im gunna get the core 2 duo E6600 and this motherboard: ASUS P5WDG2-WS PRO Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Server Motherboard

is it a good motherboard for gaming? and any recommendations for a really good video card.
  13. Prisoner of the Sun

Probably a good idea to get a DirectX 10 card if you can - I think that's only the nVidia Geforce 8 series so far.
    Last edited by b3n; May 8th, 2007 at 04:28 PM.
    :: My blip.fm tunes :: Web Design Feeds :: Web Dev Feeds :: CheatSheets :: PHP :: MySQL :: 13 Moon FB App.

"All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself - subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream. We are the imaginations of ourselves."
    - Bill Hicks

"Truth is hidden in the subtle nature of the heart of everything, although it is invisible. One cannot see it from inside and neither from the surface. One can only live and experience it."
    - Heart Sutra
  15. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by b3n
    Probably a good idea to get a DirectX 10 card if you can - I think that's only the nVidia Geforce 8 series so far.
    You should know better than digging up threads
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo