1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Fan is blowing constantly

I have a Dell C800 that the fan seems to run constantly. It has an 850MHZ PIII processor and 256MB of ram. Once the fan begins to run it seems as if everything else is delayed. For example if I were to open "My Computer" or windows explorer there would be a long delay before it opens. Or if I try to watch something in media player it will pause and stutter and eventually stop responding. I am almost 100% sure this is a hardware issue because I have another Dell C800 with the same amount of memory and when I swapped the hard drives the original C800 continued to have the same issues with a completely different hard drive and the problem did not follow the original hard drive that went into the other C800. I am hoping someone has seen this type of thing before and it is something simple like I have a bad stick of memory and it is not a problem with my motherboard.
  3. fifo

It might be heat, although the PIII's are nothing like as hot as todays CPU's an old processer in a m/b could have gathered a lot of dust. I would suggest removing the heatsink, fan and cpu and giving it a good blowing with an air spray, cleaning the top of the cpu and underside of the heatsink till it shines and then applying some new thermal paste and re-assembling.
    If you hadn't have swapped the hard drives i would have said it was a spyware problem, and as it's a factory built computer by dell i doubt very much it's componant compatability
    Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on. - Billy Connolly
  5. Contributing User

Are you sure it is fan

Sounds like CDROM drive and not fan, as typically fan will not slow down PC but a flakey CDROM drive can. Windows polls the CD to see if inserted media and sounds like yours keeps windows tied up. The other option is that it is the fan and fan is drawing power from motherboard and screwing up motherboard. If is the fan could see about replacing with fan that connects to drive power cable and not motherboard, if that is your issue.

good luck, hope this helps,
    Shane
  7. No Profile Picture

I guess I should have mentioned that this is a laptop from the begining. As far the cd-rom, that is not the culprit in this case. I do like the idea of replacing the fan itself though. Is it totally out of the question that I could have a faulty memory stick and it is making my processor work harder therefore the fan is blowing constatly trying to cool it? I am not sure about that one I just want to rule it out as a possiblity if that is not even a possible. I guess until I hear anything else I will try taking the memory from the other C800 and testing it that way.
  9. Contributing User

I seen flakey ram cause high cpu on WinXP

A Compaq desktop PC, task manager showed high cpu usage constantly and we disabled drivers, startup apps, etc. Switched RAM and it stopped. If is the RAM I would imagine you would also see high CPU usage in task manager.

Other thing I seen was a Toshiba laptop with opposite problem, fans would not spin when in Windows, was a Win98 Laptop. Fix was to take out power.drv and vpowerd entries in the SYSTEM.INI as they were screwing up Toshiba power management software. Quite possibly you also have some sort of APM/ACPI issue (although switch out hard disk would have to be bios setting/version or faulting hardware "if it is" APM/ACPI). APM/ACPI screwing up would also explain slugish performance as it could be throttling down CPU.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo