Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Fastest Socket A Processor

I want to upgrade my CPU and i need to know what the fastest Socket A CPU is. Currently from what i found out i can't get anything faster than a AMD Athlon XP 3000+ which sucks.

I seriously wanted a AMD 64 3400+ it is Socket 754 but my motherboard doesn't support it

anyway let me know the techies out there.
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

The fastest for socket A is the 3200+ Barton 400mhz fsb. They can be tough to find, but are out there.

Why are you looking to upgrade? What are your current specs and what do you want to do that you can't now?
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I want to play Battlefield 2 more smoothly & convert some AVI's to DVD so i can watch them on my TV.

In addition to a new processor i will be upgrading my RAM so i have a 1.5G altogether. i currently have a 512MB in 1 of my 2 slots so im looking to put a 1GB in the other slot. Also i need to render 3D stuff in 3DS Max. My computer is used for alot of things.

Anyway i appreciate it, might just get a new tower and motherboard and just use my older parts and newer parts
  7. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Battlefield will probably improve more from the ram (and a video upgrade) than the cpu. For the rest, a new mobo (Socket 939 would offer more upgradability than 754) and an athlon 64 would be good choices. You might want to check out some of the barebones systems available from places like Newegg. They can be good values for a new case/mobo.
    HTH
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

if you've got a socket A then you've got a good AGP vid card? Try a 3000+ venice (A64) with the MSI neo2 K8n platinum. You'll get good overclocking with that chip, and chip + board = low cost to you.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Cheers,

I upgraded just my ram, i thought about it and my CPU is fine. I just overclocked it a little and got a water coolant system. Its working fine

All together i have 2GB of Kingston RAM woo
  13. Thinking!

Originally Posted by DX Host
    Cheers,

I upgraded just my ram, i thought about it and my CPU is fine. I just overclocked it a little and got a water coolant system. Its working fine

All together i have 2GB of Kingston RAM woo
    What socket a cpu do you have anyway? You may have a very nice OverClocking cpu in your system already, that could save you a bundle of notes on an upgrade.

I have my 2500+m OC'ed at over 3400+ speeds so i get lots of free mhz for very little work.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Sempron 2600+ Socket A

I've never OCed & If i did i would want a new cooler first
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

pfft, the socket A semprons were pieces of junk. If you've got a socket A, go for an Athlon XP mobile - low voltage and joy to overclock.
  19. Thinking!

Originally Posted by pyromonkey
    pfft, the socket A semprons were pieces of junk. If you've got a socket A, go for an Athlon XP mobile - low voltage and joy to overclock.
    ...just like mine.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I was about to get a nice 2800+ but then decided on my Sempy.
  23. No Profile Picture

nice
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

yeah, now its running 1.8@2.5, but that's off topic.
  27. Thinking!

Originally Posted by DX Host
    Sempron 2600+ Socket A

I've never OCed & If i did i would want a new cooler first
    There is'nt much point in upgrading your cpu from a 2600+ sempy to a 3000+ xp. I'd suggest waiting 'til you can upgrade your mobo, cpu and graphics card in one go (and depending on what ram you have, that too.)

In the meantime invest in better cooling and have fun OC'ing.
  29. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by IceDragon
    I have my 2500+m OC'ed at over 3400+ speeds so i get lots of free mhz for very little work.
    Sorry to easedrop on your conversation but it addresses something that keeps bothering lately: my PC (MB A7N8X-E Deluxe, AMD BARTON XP 2500+, GeForce FX 5200 128 MB, 1GB RAM), which I use with office applications, tends to make my patience boil as it takes its time to perform normal activities. As an example, when 'Im writing with MSWORD, I can see the CPU usage bar go up and down whenever I strike any key.

Yes, it is true that I normally have 10 active windows at the same time, but that isn't different from what I do in other PC and laptops with different outcomes.

Two other examples: my internet connection is 50% slower than anyother in my office; when I was using Windows XP, the clock frequency shown in the system properties was 1,1Ghz.

I've been looking for alternatives in order to "spice" my PC, namely a faster processor for this board (which brought me to this forum), but I already found out that it won't be easy.

Having read your post, OCing my processor could be an alternative if I only knew how to, which is why i'm writing this looking for any advice you feel you could share with me.

Cheers!
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo