1. Guru Meditation
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Gaming CPU - AMD or Intel, X2 or X3 ?

I've been given a task to assemble a configuration for a cousin - she (um like 12 years - well she's my girlfriends cousin ) will mostly be playing The Sims 2 (3 is coming out soon) and such. Nothing too much of the requirements, but let's count in The Sims 4 about 2/3 years from now

And I can't just make up my mind on the CPU - nor graphic for that matter.

Initially her parents told me available money is around 1000 Euros with monitor and printer. "We want to buy a computer and not think about buying a new one for 4 - 5 years".

Which IMHO is just not possible if you want to play the games in 3 or 4 years.

Being that I also don't believe in upgrade that much (depends - but for games and computers older than 2 years it's probably a no if you want somewhat good performance). I suggested that they buy something cheaper. And then in about 2/3 years they sell the computer and together with money they would initially spend - get a new one while keeping the monitor and printer.

Does that logic makes sense?

Anyway - not sure about prices in the rest of the world - but around here the situation is following (just giving comparable price CPUs from both).

AMD:
    6000+ X2 (3.0 Ghz) = 75 Euros
    Phenom X3 8750 (2.4 Ghz) = 110 - 115 Euros

Intel:
    E5200 CoreDuo (2.5 Ghz) = ~ 75 Euros
    Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66GHz 1066MHz 3MB = ~ 115 Euros
    Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz 4MB Box FSB1333 S775 = ~ 125 Euros

Personally I'm leaning towards AMD64 6000+ X2 and getting a 30 - 50 Euros pricier GPU - as I don't see games optimized for X3 nor X4.

As of GPU I spotted ASUS EAH3850X2/HTDI/1G 1024MB DDR3 (1650 MHz) for only 120 Euros - though first next shop has it listed for 180 Euros - so it might be an error (like price without 18% VAT - though that would still make it 145 Euros).

http://www.insidehw.com/Reviews/Grap...50X2-1-GB.html

GPU will be ATI so MB of course with ATI chipset (770 most likely) - I'm just trying to decide between:

Gigabyte
    Radeon 3870 GV-RX387512H 512MB DDR4
    Radeon HD 3870, 775MHz, 512MB, GDDR4, PCI Express x16, Dual-DVI, S-Video Out (memory 256 bit 2400 MHz)
    = ~ 120 Euros

MSI
    R4830-T2D512-OC 512MB GDDR3
    585MHz, 512MB, GDDR3, PCI Express x16, Dual-DVI, S-Video Out (memory 256 bit 1800 MHz)
    = ~ 140 Euros

Sapphire
    Radeon HD 4850 512MB DDR3
    625MHz, PCI Express x16, Dual-DVI, S-Video Out (memory 256 bit 1986 MHz)
    = ~ 150 Euros

My picks are the 3850 X2 if it's really 120 Euros - but otherwise the first Gigabyte because of DDR4 and price.

Though I'm not sure if additional 30 Euros are worth. Plain 4850 vs plain 3870 is a win for 4850, but I'm not sure how much does DDR4 in 3870 makes a difference and by http://www.insidehw.com/Reviews/Grap...p/Page-12.html aparentlu not enough to remotelu catch up with 4850.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=14 - let's not look past 1680x1050 resolution.

Any suggestions are welcome.
    www.booking.com is hiring Perl developers!
    Work along some of the biggest names in Perl community. Live in Amsterdam - relocation assistance is provided (paperwork/visa and financial) for you and your family members - for details send me an message

3. Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Not very many games can use a quad, so for bang for the buck, focus on dual cores.

AMD's only life these days is cheap performance, Intel's Core 2 just beat them badly, and the Core i7 make it worse. But you can get a lot of processor from AMD for not much money.

Optimizing a system is a black art, but for someone not into the latest, fastest, greatest games, I'd go for a decent system, 2+ gHz dual core, 2GB of ram, decent video card, and declare victory.

At least until the user gets experiened and demands more.

You should be able to put together a good system for $500 US. Or look at newegg, tigerdirect, etc. for "refurbshed" systems. They have some serious deals. A couple of months ago, I got a AMD quad processor, 3GB ram, ATI Radeon HD 2400XT, 256MB Discrete Video Memory, for $520.
  5. Prisoner of the Sun

:: My blip.fm tunes :: Web Design Feeds :: Web Dev Feeds :: CheatSheets :: PHP :: MySQL :: 13 Moon FB App.

"All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself - subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream. We are the imaginations of ourselves."
    - Bill Hicks

"Truth is hidden in the subtle nature of the heart of everything, although it is invisible. One cannot see it from inside and neither from the surface. One can only live and experience it."
    - Heart Sutra
  7. Contributing User

Originally Posted by b3n
    That is a pretty impressive system for $569. Not state of the art, but fast enough for games less evil than Crysis
  9. Guru Meditation

The ****ty thing about TomsHardware CPU charts - is the fact that they don't have a lot of CPUs that are available on the market. In addition they have it split so you can only compare the CPU that are new in that period. And I wanted to compare similar priced CPUs - I remember they had such CPU charts back in the day. Too bad they changed that. You can also add Intel biased reviews.

I agree that Intel has a better CPU at this time - it has faster models - but at what price? Of 4 computers I have at my home (starting with PII accent desktop, over PIII Compaq Armada notebook from '98/99) I have both Intel and AMD - 2 vs 2.

At the end the system that we got was actually limited by time - it was Saturday at 2 PM and most shops worked till 3 or 4 pm. And yes it had to be bought that day.

And the specs are:
    - AMD X3 8750
    - Gainward ATI 4850 512MB DDR3 256 bit (damn hot and loud - will need to update drivers and GPU BIOS to fix that)
    - MSI K9A2 NEO-F
    - 2 GB DDR2 1066Mhz (upgrade will be another 2GB)
    - Cooler Master 590 Case (tool free my ***)
    - Chieftec 550W PSU
    - LG 22" TFT with TV tuner and a bunch of connectors including DVI
    - Seagate 500GB 32MB cache
    - Some LG DVD-RW

Total price was ~ $1166 including the $415 of the LG TFT. But note that Serbian dinars rates are going haywire these days - and that things here are usually more expensive due to customs toll of 20% (in addition to state wide 18% VAT/TAX and whatever the shop and importer built into the price for them-self). This was the cheapest deal we could get.

EDIT: You figure out what **** stands for
    Last edited by techcode; December 18th, 2008 at 07:04 AM.
    Work along some of the biggest names in Perl community. Live in Amsterdam - relocation assistance is provided (paperwork/visa and financial) for you and your family members - for details send me an message

11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by techcode
    Total price was ~ $1166 including the $415 of the LG TFT..... customs toll of 20% (in addition to state wide 18% VAT/TAX and whatever the shop and importer built into the price for them-self).
    Obviously, the US prices don't include the monitor, vat, customs, etc. So your deal is not too overpriced except for what the King wants.

Did you get the GPU fan to slow down? or replace it with something less like a siren?

How does it run?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I recommend the $625 system, but without the $27 CPU cooler in it, the one that comes with the cpu is definitely enough. Especially for her since I doubt she will be overclocking.
  15. Guru Meditation

From that short encounter while it was turned on - it runs great, except the loud GPU fan

IMHO it's not very bad - but I'm very noise sensitive as I keep one computer runing almost 24/7 inside my room.

Haven't had time to go to their home again to update the GPU stuff - and it seems like MB will also need a BIOS update so that RAM would work at 1066Mhz and not just 800Mhz.

It's a bit more complicated to updated everything since they don't have Internet at home yet. Even dialup would be worse than usual as they seem to have PCM device (it splits one line in two "numbers" so both can talk at same time, but limits the modem to less than 56K - found that out when they requested the ADSL the other day).

17. No Profile Picture

c2d and overclock it like crazy

Comments on this post

• jzd disagrees : For bringing up a 6 month old thread and for not even reading the OP's question.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by techcode
    The ****ty thing about TomsHardware CPU charts - is the fact that they don't have a lot of CPUs that are available on the market. In addition they have it split so you can only compare the CPU that are new in that period. And I wanted to compare similar priced CPUs - I remember they had such CPU charts back in the day. Too bad they changed that. You can also add Intel biased reviews.

I agree that Intel has a better CPU at this time - it has faster models - but at what price? Of 4 computers I have at my home (starting with PII accent desktop, over PIII Compaq Armada notebook from '98/99) I have both Intel and AMD - 2 vs 2.

At the end the system that we got was actually limited by time - it was Saturday at 2 PM and most shops worked till 3 or 4 pm. And yes it had to be bought that day.

And the specs are:
    - AMD X3 8750
    - Gainward ATI 4850 512MB DDR3 256 bit (damn hot and loud - will need to update drivers and GPU BIOS to fix that)
    - MSI K9A2 NEO-F
    - 2 GB DDR2 1066Mhz (upgrade will be another 2GB)
    - Cooler Master 590 Case (tool free my ***)
    - Chieftec 550W PSU
    - LG 22" TFT with TV tuner and a bunch of connectors including DVI
    - Seagate 500GB 32MB cache
    - Some LG DVD-RW

Total price was ~ $1166 including the $415 of the LG TFT. But note that Serbian dinars rates are going haywire these days - and that things here are usually more expensive due to customs toll of 20% (in addition to state wide 18% VAT/TAX and whatever the shop and importer built into the price for them-self). This was the cheapest deal we could get.

EDIT: You figure out what **** stands for
    Not a bad setup to be honest. RAM upgrade you already have planned which is good, the only thing I would have changed would be the video card(prefer the 4870), and the PSU(brand I'm more comfortable with.)

One main thing I would do though is update the hard drives firmware. The Cuda V 500/1TB drives have some issues with mini-freezes.

EDIT: Damn these dates! Even ones on the first page are years old.
  21. Contributing User

This topic is ancient, people.
    Quality European Web Hosting - LDHosting.com
    High Quality, Low Cost Web Hosting Services
    www.ldhosting.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo