1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How To Get Heatsink Off Cpu W/o Damage

alright how would i go about getting the damned heatsink off my processor cause i was gonna put a better copper heatsink on and alot biger fan. i heard you can damage the cpu if you arent careful.the cpu is kinda getting hot and before to long im gonna try to o'c so i want to be prepared for high temperatures.
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Unscrew it (the metal retention braces that hold the heatsink down), then gently lift it off. Twisting gently and tilting to break the attachment of the thermal paste will do it. Just be gentle and you won't have trouble. Then be sure to clean the cpu and heatsink with alcohol or acetone (non-oil based solvent).
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. Warning: I can't read

i havn't had a probelm ever removing it, but i herd the intel stock cooler comes with a plastic pad for heat ytransfer, which can melt together the cpu and HS. You can just get it hot by doing something like folding for 10 min, and then shut down and remove it fairly easy.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

hey thanks. cause ive heard of problems getting the heatsink off but maybe it was the intels. well thanks.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo