Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Need help with picking new cpu/mobo

Hi,

Im planning on upgrading my cpu/mobo/RAM. I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Im looking along the lines of an AMD 64bit 3000+ or maybe 2800+. My current specs are

ASUS A7N266-VM mobo w/ Athlon 1800+ 1.5 Ghz
    256 mb Ram (dont ask me what brand, dont know).
    GeForce fx 5200 (not looking to upgrade this even though it sucks)

I use my computer for games, school, internet, and a few other low end apps but I just want a faster comp in general. Any tips on a good cpu/mobo/Ram combo? Im looking to spend around $300 - $400 CDN on the mobo and cpu.. not sure how much on RAM but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

If you're on a budget, you want another athlon. If you're interested in overclocking, the 2500+ barton is a great deal. You want a mobo that has the nVidia nForce2 chipset (esp if you want to OC), or the Via KT800. Abit and Asus are two good motherboard brands, make sure whatever board you choose supports the fsb speed of the cpu you pick (those two chipsets won't have any problems).
    As far as ram, you really can't have too much, and get ram that is the same speed as the fsb on your cpu (ie fsb333->pc2700ram)
    HTH
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. Warning: I can't read

i'd recommend a AMD mobile if you can handle it, i just picked up the 2600 and is running at 2.6Ghz and still has room. I'd go with the NF7 mobo, or the ASUS A7N8X.
  7. No Profile Picture

Ok, I think Ive narrowed it down to this..

A7N8X mobo
    Athlon 2600+ Barton Core
    512 Mb Ultra RAM (huge discount on tigerdirect + good reviews)

will this be a fairly good machine compared to my last?
  9. Warning: I can't read

I would highly recommend the AMD mobiles, for one they have unlocked Multipliers and are the cream of the crop. If you even want to think about overclocking it, this is the way to go. They use the same motherboard socket, so you don't have to worry about that, if you can get the ABIT NF7-S, get that insted of the ASUS. THough ASUS board isn't bad, but it will start to yell at you after 200 mhz FSB. My AMD mobile 2600+, is running at 2.6 Ghz, and still has some head room, the old Athlon's had unlocked Multi's but the newer ones are locked.

See what some people have gotten with their mobiles Here
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I would strongly recommend the Asus A8V and a Athlon 64 3000+ 90nm. You can get the CPU for abot $160 at monarch and the A8V is about $130. A really great combo for the price. If you plan to overclock, this setup will not dissapoint. I'm running the same mobo and cpu. They CPU is 1.8 Ghz stock, but I'm running it at 2.4Ghz right now and it's quite stable. Definately worth the money.
  13. No Profile Picture

I would have to disagree about the Athlon 64... you wont be able to use the processor to max until you use a 64bit OS and all your software and games are 64bit... so for a few years... stick with somthing you can use to its max and not somthing you can only use half of and by the time you can use it to the max its so damn old you would need a new one anyway
  15. Just another guy

Thats not true. The athlon 64's are some of the fastest cpus available, and for good prices too. Look at some benchmarks, the athlon 64's are very fast with 32 bit apps. You don't need 64 bit software to see performance increases with the athlon 64's.
    That said, for a budget and overclocking, the amd mobiles are great, as jkabaseball said.
    --Dave--

17. No Profile Picture

I am looking for a new cpu/mb too...I have always used atlons but now i am not sure which one to get...I want the new computer i build to be purely for my games...games like Doom 3 and HL2...any help for what i should get would be great....my budget is pretty tight....only got 300-400 for a new cpu and motherboad...
  19. Just another guy

Athlon 64 is best for gaming, hands down. I like ASUS and Abit mobos.
    --Dave--

21. No Profile Picture

ok...So i was looking at 64 Athlons and noticed a big jump when i got to the 3700's...Is it worth the money to get that one or should i get a 3200 for a lot less...
  23. Warning: I can't read

3700 and above are th etop of the line, so they charge a little more. I know you want a A64, but take a look at this thing. Sempron . I know this isn't what you want, but if you know how to overclock, and are going to put good cooling into it, this thing will fly. And you save a ton of money. If i had to get a A64 i would get the lower eng 3000/3200/3500, depending on the pricing.overclock
  25. No Profile Picture

Well...im just looking for the cheapest best thing that will run games like half life 2 and Doom 3...Do you think i will notice much game performance between the Althon 64 or the sempron?
  27. Warning: I can't read

If you get the 3100+, it will keep up with the A64, the other ones won't. DMOS loves those DFI boards, and they have been solid. I would go with the 3100+ and the DFI Landparty board. Yo can spend the extra money on other parts like gfx card, or just save the money.
  29. No Profile Picture

ya about that...I got a geforce FX5200 256mb DDR graphics card...Do you think it is time to get a new one or will it keep up with games like half life 2 and doom 3 for a little while longer?
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo