1. No Profile Picture
    Advanced User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Angry Intel Prescott 478 3.2ghz stuck at 2800mhz

Hi,

I just saw http://forums.devshed.com/t263873/s.html , but thought i'd post another thread as my problem is different (not laptop).

I just finished building my first pc, turned it on, loaded Slax (a linux live) and found it was reading my CPU as running at 2800mhz (but displaying it as a 3.2ghz in the name).

I installed windows and opened gigabyte easy tune 5 and found it was also reading at 2800mhz, and at 43c (109f) idling (see specs for reason why i think thats high).

Specs:

Gigabyte 8KNXP motherboard
    Intel 875P Chipset
    Intel Prescott 3.2ghz processor
    2 x Samung PC3200 512MB ram
    BFG 6600GT AGPx8 128MB graphics card

CPU, Chipset, GPU are all watercooled via dual radiator.

Please also see the CPU-Z output screenshot attached.

Thanks
    Attached Images
  3. No Profile Picture
    Advanced User

[ignore]
    I just found a CPU-Z output screenshot of a correctly working cpu:

3.2ghz @ 3200mhz

The only field different from my output is the multiplier.

This being my first pc build, could anyone point out whether this is important?
    [/ignore]

Found out what multiplier value is.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Brony & F/OSS Advocate
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You might be able change the multiplier in your BIOS.
    ~~ Peter ~~ :: ( Who am I? ) :: ( Peter's Musings: Uploading myself, bit by bit... ) :: ( Electronic Frontier Foundation ) :: ( I'm a GNU/Linux addict and Free Software Advocate. ) :: ( How to Ask Questions the Smart Way ) :: ( The Fedora Project, sponsored by Red Hat ) :: ( GNOME: The Free Software Desktop Project ) :: ( GnuPG Public Key ) :: ( About me on the WIki )
  7. !Ruff Ryder!
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I don't know if I actually understand your question but I'll explain what the multiplier is... Take the FSB speed and multiply it by the mutiplier. (What do you get?) The CPU speed!! So since the other one was at 14x201 put it at 16x200. Check the book that came with your motherboard and it should tell you which BIOS settings you need to change to fix your multiplier and FSB.
    My b0x:
    AMD XP Barton 2800+ @ Stock speed... (going up again soon in winter!!!)
    2 x 512MB Kingston RAM for 1GB dual channel
    1 x 120GB HDD (soon another ) ( <-- God I've been saying this for like a year )
    SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS (0wN5!!!)
    Logitech Z-5300 speakers (0wN5!!!)
    ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro (0wN5!!!)
    Black ViewSonic A91f+@1280x1024@75Hz (0wN5!!!) (Well, too bad I can't go 1600x1200 above 60Hz )

If I helped you out please consider helping a poor college student get a free iPod for his long commute by signing up here with my referal link:
    My Link
    (I will pay you $10-$20 if you want to cover the cost of the offer for you. ***This ISNT a scam. I personally know a girl who recieved one a few months ago!***)
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Last year, Intel introduced the Performance Requirement Bit, to avoid problems caused by demanding processors. This flag basically helps to check whether the motherboard matches the high requirements of high end CPUs. If it does not, the processor will automatically fall back to a safe mode and run at only 2.8 GHz.

This could be your issue. I would suggest you persue it with your motherboard vendor.

I just happened to see this on toms hardware right after seeing your post.

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050221/prescott-04.html
  11. No Profile Picture

i also have this CPU and i have had some problems with overheating, all i did was get a water cooling kit for 120$$ and now its all good, but with ur problem with it stuck at 2.8 i would take it back were u got it from because its a faulty product, u can not touch the multiplier on this cpu because its locked by intel,

ps: the multiplier is meant to be 16x

Comments on this post

• salem disagrees : Your advice would have been great, if it was posted 4 YEARS ago
    • medialint agrees : Ironically, or if it had been posted 1 year later (see below)
  13. No Profile Picture
    Advanced User

Originally Posted by duffmanJR
    i also have this CPU and i have had some problems with overheating, all i did was get a water cooling kit for 120$$ and now its all good, but with ur problem with it stuck at 2.8 i would take it back were u got it from because its a faulty product, u can not touch the multiplier on this cpu because its locked by intel,

ps: the multiplier is meant to be 16x
    Thanks.

I'm actually still having the problem (but not my main PC anymore), so i'll try that.
  15. No Profile Picture

yup, try that first. hope u solve the pro soon

Comments on this post

• ryon420 disagrees : Hope you read the date soon. Sometime in the near past, hopefully
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Update your bios I had a soyo dragon mobo that did the same thing to my 3.4 prescott, that was when the 3.4 prescott was $450; you can imagine how upset I was. After the bios update, it cranked out the heat-generating 3.4ghz it was intended to.

Comments on this post

• requinix disagrees : did you not notice the comments in the rest of the thread?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo