1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Laptop's heat sync?

I have a Compaq Presario 2701t Laptop. I bought it about 2 years ago and It has a Intel Pentium IIIm processor at 1GHZ. First of all, I've dropped it two or three times. It seems that after the first time, it overheats all the time and the fans ARE ALWAYS RUNNING. Usually when the fans are on high speed I put the computer in standby and wait for it to cool down. But I seriously can't have IE looking at a flash application for more than 1 minute before it overheats.

I just blew compressed air threw the vents and tons of dust came out. This definitly helped it alot, but not completely. How can I tell if my heat sync is doing what it should or if my fan moved? Should I open up my laptop?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

You wouldn't happen to still have a warentee on it? If you do, sending it back to HP and having them fix it up for you would definately be the way to go. If not, running some tests would be your next best thing to do. I don't think that dropping a laptop could dislodge the heatsink, at least it shouldn't. Try memtest, prime95, and watch your temps constantly with speedfan. Numerous other things could cause this, and preforming these tests will help track them down.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo