1. Prisoner of the Sun

Overclock disappears ?

I overclocked my CPU but sometimes I check in CPUZ and find that the overclock has gone. If I then go into the BIOS I see that all the settings have gone back to Auto.

Does this mean that the cpu voltage is not high enough?

I haven't really done any strenuous stability testing but I've played 3D games for several hours and ran 3DMark etc without any problems. I leave Speedstep turned on.

Here is the details:

Asus P5E3 Deluxe Wifi (X38)
    Q6600 @ 333MHz = 3GHz
    OCZ PC3-10666 @ 667MHz = 1333MHz

I just leave the CPU voltage on Auto. I'm not sure what would be a safe starting point to increase it to/from... 1.25v ?
    Last edited by b3n; April 8th, 2008 at 04:58 AM.
    :: My blip.fm tunes :: Web Design Feeds :: Web Dev Feeds :: CheatSheets :: PHP :: MySQL :: 13 Moon FB App.

"All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself - subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream. We are the imaginations of ourselves."
    - Bill Hicks

"Truth is hidden in the subtle nature of the heart of everything, although it is invisible. One cannot see it from inside and neither from the surface. One can only live and experience it."
    - Heart Sutra
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Did you flash your BIOS to the latest version? Sounds like a bug. There's an updated bios only a few days old: Download Here and find your CPU model number.
  5. Prisoner of the Sun

When I got it the board was BIOS version 3 or something, and I couldn't get it to post with the RAM I bought originally. I upgraded the BIOS to version and 9 and then it was ok.

I'm a bit scared of upgrading it because I've seen so many stories of people who get into a no-post situation from constantly upgrading the bios.

But there's probably been a few more revisions, and I think some people did say that 9 was not entirely stable.
    :: My blip.fm tunes :: Web Design Feeds :: Web Dev Feeds :: CheatSheets :: PHP :: MySQL :: 13 Moon FB App.

"All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself - subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream. We are the imaginations of ourselves."
    - Bill Hicks

"Truth is hidden in the subtle nature of the heart of everything, although it is invisible. One cannot see it from inside and neither from the surface. One can only live and experience it."
    - Heart Sutra

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo