1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Overclocking p4p800 get best performance

I just put together a 2.7 ghz p4p 800 with 512 (going to upgrade) and a geforce4 4200 ti visiontek It is very cool inside so i would like to overclock everything i can to the nearly maximum capacity could sombody please give me some pointers please. Thank you.
  3. Warning: I can't read

up the FSB till its upstable, and then leave it at t hevery last stable setting. You can up teh volts, but after 1.7 your playing alll or nothing, as they randomly fry at anything over 1.7. You can OC your videocard too. Google "Coolbits".
  5. fifo

I know this is an old thread but the previous response was inadequate and dangerous. Overclocking your cpu hap-hazardly could fry componants in seconds and you have no warrranty, so take it very slowly and be sure you have a good quality fan and heatsink on the cpu. Download mbm5 so you can always see your temps as your benchmarking and don't let it go over 60C. Thats my personal opinion as P4s will go much hotter and will slow down to compensate but any sustained use at over 60 isn't going to be great for the life of your cpu.
    Next downlooad some benchmarking utils such as pcmark04 and 3dmark2001 se and benchmark your system.
    Then very slowly, about 2 - 5 mhz increments increase you cpu and benchmark. I tend to run pcmark once and 3dmark2001 about 5 times consecutivly, wihtout the splash screens to ensure that your new speed is stable and isn't overheating.
    If, after a bit, the temperature isn't a problem but the computer is crashing, try upping the cpu voltage by the smallest amount and try again. You might need to increase the ram voltage as well by a little, as it too will be running faster then expected. Upping the cpu voltage wil quickly increase the temperature so be careful
    For the gpu, as jkbaseball said download coolbits, which is a registry hack and allows you to change the gpu and ram of your video card. To do that, leave the gpu clock as it is and increase the memory speed until it starts artefacting (small shapes that arn't supposed to be there) then decrease a little. Then do the same to your gpu clock. You don't need to worry too much about the temps of your gpu as they can go much higher than the cpu, although i would still be careful but i think you'll find it will crash before it melts!
    Some extra pointers - watch the latency of your ram. As you increase the speed of your ram the latency drops and there will be a point at which the latency has a greater negative effect than the overclock.
    Hope that helps and have fun!
    Last edited by Rizla; November 16th, 2004 at 06:36 AM.
    Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on. - Billy Connolly

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo