1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

P4 2.66 Overclocking Help

I have an Intel Pentium 4 2.66Ghz with 533Mhz FSB and socket 478. Now I want to overclock my computer. I have a good case it has alot of room in it. I had 5 fans. 3 of those Thermal Take high performance kind 5000RPM.

I need a good heatsink for overclocking. I want to reach 3.2Ghz. I have looked on the NewEgg website, but I really don't know which heatsink is good for overclocking. I found this heatsink good price range, etc http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...106-032&depa=0. But again im not sure if it will do the job in keeping the CPU cold. Right now I get an average of 30C on the CPU.

Thanks everybody, I need this information.

Cheers
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Disclaimer up front: Overclocking voids warranties, and can break your hardware. Also, if you have to ask, you probably don't know enough to do it safely.

You want to know the temperature under load, which I'm quite sure is higher than 30C. I have a Zalman CNPS7000a-Cu, which works very well. Basically you want something big and copper, with the biggest fan possible. Also you need good thermal paste, arctic silver 5 or so. You up the fsb in bios to OC, you'll probably need to adjust the ram divider too. (If you don't know how or what that is, google before trying anything). Finally, there's no guarantee that you'll reach any given OC speed, it all varies from chip to chip.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. fifo
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

The cooler will be suitable but 43 dBA! Thats loud. I'm sure you're not bothered about noise if you're overclocking but it would do my head in. I too have the Zalman CNPS7000a-Cu. and I can safely run my P4 2.8 @ 3.4 for 8 hours under load without the temp getting above 55 C.
    Before you do any overclocking, take a little time to read about it. It is fun and addictive but one wrong move and you could fry your cpu/mobo/ram etc.
    Have a look at:
    www.overclockers.com
    www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=157
    www.hyperformance-pc.com/overclocking_faq.htm
    www.tomshardware.com/cpu/19970102/index.html

Some are a little old but the theory is still the same.
    Hope that helps
    Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on. - Billy Connolly
  7. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Rizla mentioned "fun and addictive" and I definitely agree with that. Don't try anything overclocking related unless you are willing to spend significant time and $$ trying to make it "just a little faster"
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo