1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question about compatibility with cpu

alright i'm buying a amd 64 3400+ processor and was wondering if it would be better to use a mobile version or the regular.

i figured the mobile because of higher L2 Cache.

so my questions are.

Can i use a mobile version? (754)

and would it be worth it?
  3. Contributing User

I am not familiar with that CPU to answer question, but typically to answer a question like that depends on the motherboard you plan to use CPU in as well as what you expect to do with it. You might want to add that to your post to speed up replies (so others do not ask you).

So motherboard and what you plan to do with it. Do you plan to overclock? Do you plan to use as a server, and if so what would the server's roll be? If not a server would you play games or use applications, or both?

I know in the case of Athlon Mobiles, they are usually unlocked and thus allow for easy overclocking. Athlon Mobiles also allow adjusting bus speed, etc. from software in the OS (once again good for easy overclocking).

As for CPU cache size, benefits of a larger cache depends on CPU usage.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks for the reply.but as most people on here know i game. (or they should, since i used to post alot.)

but i am building a new computer using a chaintech znf-250 "Zenith" motherboard, but was curious on if there would be much of a performance boost using a mobile processor with a higher cache.

i play ut2004, americas army, farcry, doom 3, etc.

maybe some audio editing, as well as some 3d modeling.
  7. Warning: I can't read

I know that the mobile athlons will kick *** compared to the desktop, seems to hold true for the A64, but don't expect a major jump as the XP athlon did. It should, as it will require less volts to achieve the same speeds. The the extra cache means the overall speed of the CPU will be less, but if you plan on overclocking, it should do a lot better than the desktop. I did find this, you might want to check it out.

(d) The mobile CPUs lack the Integrated Heatspreader (IHS) common to the desktop processors. This allows better cooling of the CPUs as heatsink contact is directly with the CPU core itself. But as a result of this, the CPUs are "shorter" than their desktop counterparts and heatsink contact is a very real concern. Most backplates, whether included with the motherboard or the ones AMD includes with their retail chips will not work properly - the screw poles aren't deep enough. Only one heatsink setup works properly without modification with the mobile CPUs, the Thermalright SLK-948U Heatsink.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you haven't purchased the motherboard yet I'd recommend saving your cash up and getting an Asus A8V, or Abit AV8 as they accept the new A64 chips with the 90nm fabrication. I have the Asus and an A64 3000+ 90nm. It comes 1.8 Ghz stock but I was able to OC it to 2.4 Ghz (266 FSB and AGP locked) with hardly any trouble. The motheboard is $130 and the CPU is $160. A $290 investment. Not bad considering the Asus comes with Gigabit LAN and a 802.11G inegrated. Oh, even with the CPU running at 2.4 Ghz, it only increased the operating temp from 33 degrees Celcius to 35 degrees. A 2 degree increase from a 600 Mhz speed advantage? Sounds like a sweet deal to me.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

alright.i'm kinda skeptical about the mobile's just because of that article you found jkabaseball.but then again i'm thinking about watercooling so i don't think it'd matter much.

but i'm also kinda just thinking about going for the desktop version because i don't do much cpu overclocking at all.my video card is overclocked, but the only cpu i've overclocked was an old pII 266MHz, which is still running at something like 600MHz which is sitting in my closet.

also jkabaseball.what do you mean with a higher cache the speed would be less?

thanks for all the replies guys.

also i was looking at some links on www.newegg.com and came upon This

so that pretty much says i can't use my Chaintech ZNF3-250 motherboard right? it says the VNF3-250 works.

i'm curious because i went ahead and tried chaintech and ordered the ZNF3 the other day.and i would use Asus like everybody else but i always seem to have problems with abit, or asus.
    Last edited by guitarboy; December 14th, 2004 at 12:50 AM.
  13. It was not me!
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

if any 1 delete this post i would be greatfull i dont know how did i post wrong down here sorry for the mess ...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo