1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Talking Removing Intel P4 3.00 Ghz from mobo

Ok... its time to upgrade my mobo...i singled out on the Asus P4P800 D...had an intel 865gbf b4..
    Now how on earth do i remove tht damned stock heatsink stickin its butt to the processor without plucking it out from the socket..cus m scared tht it might damage my precious processor..??
    As if tht wasnt enough i wanna kno whether i have to remove n reapply the grease or simply putting em back together will do?Pls help..u c i desperately need to upgrade from that silly green mobo
  3. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

i think there should be 2 leavers on the top of the heatsink, off to the sides, you pull the leavers up and the plastic things become loose and you can then take them off and then take off the heatsink

as for adding the grease, i'm not sure, but i would add grease anyways, you don't want to risk frying you cpu after all
  5. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

To remove the heatsink, run the computer for a while to make things nice and warm, then unclip/unscrew the attachments and gently rock/twist the heatsink up and off the cpu.
    You will then want to clean off both the heatsink and the cpu with a little acetone and a clean cloth to remove the existing thermal paste. Apply new thermal paste when you reattach the heatsink.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo