Thread: New Smps

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

New Smps

Hello,

I was using an Smps of 300 volts but it got damaged. They replaced it with a 450 volts. Pc all works fine.

Will it damage my motherboard in the long run? Also will it comsume much electricity or will the difference be minimum? Should i go back to an Smps of 300 volts or i can keep using the 450 one.

Im kinda new to computer hardware. Thanks for your help.

Sam.
  3. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

what are you talking about? your in the CPU forum so i'm guessing your talking about a CPU, maybe replacing a 300Hz CPU with a 450Hz CPU, is that what you mean?

and what is "Smps"? also you generally don't have anything in a computer that uses 300-450 volts, so if your not talking about a CPU then you really need to explain yourself better
  5. No Profile Picture

It says "SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY" on the box and has 450w written. My previous one had 300 written.

Its inside pc & all power cords coming out of it i see. Sorry i am new to computers
  7. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

ok, generally thats abbreviated PSU (power supply unit) and the 450w is 450 watts, not volts.

As for the power usage, its going to be about the same, the PSU will use power thats pretty much proportional to the requirements of the system, the number on it is the maximum it can do, but they will all do less then that without using any more power, the power used is defined as (the power needed)/(efficiency of the PSU), so your system probably probably uses 200-250w and you can calculate the power used by dividing by the efficiency which should be marked on the PSU (should be something like 75%, so divide by .75

in reality higher wattage PSUs tend to have a higher efficiency and therefore use less power when installed, as an example many 300w PSU will have an efficiency of 70%, while many high wattage PSUs will have an efficiency of 85%, so on a system using 250w the 300w PSU will draw 357w, while the high wattage PSU will draw 294w
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks so much edman007..

I learnt so much info i didnt even know about lol. Now i am much relieved with using the 450w PSU.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo