1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

suggest system specifications for game purposes

hai,

i want to have a system which is purely for gaming purpose.
    Can anyone suggest me what is the ideal specifications i look for. i want to play games like GTA 3 sananderas, farcry and doom 3.

thanks in advance
  3. Contributing User

Depends on your money, but for gaming it is typically 64bit AMD Athlon Socket 939 and best nVidia video card you can afford. Best Dual Channel memory kit you can afford and SATA hard disk(s). More than one hard disk can be good in that you install the OS/games on one and put your Page File and Temp folder on the other. Largest PSU you can afford, one that has multiple 12V rails and preferrably brand name Antec, Enermax, and others as well. Usually best to get brand name case that comes with good PSU as often the case works out to very little than if buy cheap case and have to replace PSU down the road. If you can get best motherboard and case/PSU you can afford and cheap out a little on other parts and upgrade later.

You are usually best to look at what you can get your hands on and post a few of your options so people can tell you what is better/worse amongst them. Or if you are going to build yourself and money is no object then please specify as your current post is a little too hard to recommend something.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks for the advice,

i need suggestions for motherboard. which one is better and graphics card which type. now nvidia is releasing new models and i am aware of its functionalities. suggest me some good models that have pixel shading feature.
    plz suggest processor model also.
    budget is not a problem as i need only these 3 components.
  7. Contributing User

For processor there are single and dual core. Games currently do not make much use of dual core, but that will likely change as newer game consoles (Xbox-360 and PS3) have a multi core processor.

Standard single core are AMD Athlon64.

Beefed up single core are AMD Athlon64 FX.

Dual core are AMD Athlon64 X2.

For single core gaming (current gaming) the FX is the best. Mutli cpu games not mainstream yet, but mutli cpu games would run better on the X2.

You may want to research the games you like and see if the developers plan on multi cpu versions. If yes then X2 and if no then FX.

For Dual Core, the higher the number that follows (3800+, 4200+, etc.) the better, so that really depends on your budget. I would say get the 4200+ or higher.

For FX there is FX-55 and FX-57 with the 57 higher end and 55 lower. Get the 57 if can afford otherwise the 55.

For motherboard I would recommend you find out where you going to get the stuff, and what boards they have in your price range that take the CPU you decide on. Then hunt the net for reviews on them or post back to here or a forum more particular to motherboards. So many to select from and I am not certain what you can get your hands on. Make sure is Socket 939 to take the FX or the X2 (or standard Athlon 64 if you get one of them and not FX or X2).

When picking motherboard make sure it does SLI, as that will let you run mutliple video cards together to increase performance considerably. Is two video card GPU (graphic processor) running the game, and you could start out with two mid end cards or get one high end and add another down the road when you need additional performance (new game versions). Newer board will be PCI Express and not AGP. There are different speeds of PCI Express sockets, so also select from boards that have two PCI-Express 16x (two PCIe 16x for SLI and both video cards be at 16x).

For motherboards try and stick with ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, DFI, and there are others so post what you can get. Motherboards are tricky, as have seen good and bad from all companies and often can be a model of motherboard made in multiple factories and not built from same components (I have an A7N8X Deluxe Rev. 2.0 with better capacitors and does higher front side bus than my friends which has cheaper capacitors and is same model and revision). I haven't the money to play with every new motherboard, nor enough clients to buy all the motherboards, so I would say find a few and post to a motherboard forum and let people give feedback on them. Just google "motherboard forums" and maybe even post to a few of them.

For video card I would do same as motherboard. See what they got where you go for nVidia in your price range and post to forums more specific to video cards. Also try and get the OEM that makes the video card if it is not made by nVidia (nVidia, and ATI, sell chips so card be made by a completely seperate company, and not all the cards same quality). You getting a newer board so stick away from AGP as you will be getting a PCI Express system.
    Last edited by shakey1980; October 24th, 2005 at 04:48 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks for the info

budget is not problem. in my location i only can get MSI, Gigabyte and intel motherboards. so u can suggest the model then i can buy that.what abt motherboard from nvidia? i am hearing news for that?

regarding graphics card--nvidia i want to buy but which model supports most features and which is compatible with above motherboards u suggest

thanks in advance

bye
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Decide on a motherboard first. Then determine if that motherboard uses PCI-E or AGP for graphics, and choose a graphics card accordingly. That should take care of compatibility.

Which motherboard? Well, don't look at Intel, they won't make motherboards for AMD chips. Tell us what you want from your computer; for example, some motherboards have onboard sound, but you don't need that if you have an audio card that's fairly new that you can use.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The following mothyerboards are with in my budget. plz tell me which one is best and also suggest a processor suitable for this motherboards

1. MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum M/B - nForce4 Ultra (AMD K8)--- --Socket 939,NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra
    --Supports 64-bit AMD® Athlon™ 64FX/64 processor
    (Socket 939)
    --Supports 3000+, 3200+, 3500+, 3800+, 4000+, FX53 and
    FX55
    --HyperTransport link to the AMD Athlon 64/Athlon 64FX CPU
    --HyperTransport supporting speed up to 1GHz (2000MT/s)

2. MSI RS480M2-IL M/B - RS480 (AMD K8)---Socket 939
    --ATI Radeon XPRESS 200,1000 FSB with (PCI Express)
    -- ATI Radeon® XPRESS 200 Chipset
    -- HyperTransport connection to AMD K8 Athlon 64
    processor
    --8 or 16 bit control/address. data transfer both directions
    --1000/800/400/200MHz "Double Data Rate" operation both
    direction

Also suggest me the suitable graphics card and Ram upgrades, how much watts psu needed for this combinations

thanks in advance
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

some one help me

some one help me.

suggest me the motherboard as given in above post and processor and graphics card

thanks in advance

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo