1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Switching from Lenovo x200s to MacbookAir

I currently have a 3-years old Lenovo x200s, which is Intel Core 2 Duo SL9400 / 1.86 GHz -
    and I'm planning on switching to Macbook Air dual-core 1.8GHz Intel Core i7 with 4MB shared L3 cache.
    I just want to know if I should expect a significant increase in the speed things get with the new computer, or not.

With the soo many architectures popping up every few years, I dont really understand what is the difference in processing power between the two.
    I read this thread titled /cpus-104/core-2-duo-i5-or-i7-new-imac-help-deciding-648427.html (sorry it wont let me cant post links)
    explaining a bit about difference between the processors on the technical level... but honestly- what's important to me is the speed it takes for the computer to do things-

I know the performance is so dependant on the type of work that you do- and probably on the efficiency of the underlying OS...
    I'm a developer, so I usually do compiling, some image processing (mostly similar to photoshop filters), messing around with mysql, and intense internet browsing, which always gets to heavy swapping in my XP x200s (btw the Macbook Air has similar 4GB RAM).

Can anyone tel me if i should expect an increase in work speed? I'd really appreciate answers
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Yes you should see an increase in speed.

Which OS you use is relatively insignificant. The basic tasks that an OS has to perform to allow programs to run efficiently have been studied extremely extensively and the results are public knowledge; all major modern operating systems follow similar principles and will have similar performance.

The use-case you've described does not sound like an appropriate one for a Macbook Air. As you probably know, the Macbook Air is an ultra-portable computer. As with any other ultra-portable, you will pay a lot more and get a lot less than if you sacrifice some of that portability. This is OK if your use-case revolves around light use of the computer and lots of traveling with it, but that doesn't sound at all like what you're describing. The tasks you've described are CPU, memory and disk intensive.

The Macbook Air you're looking at is probably in the $1300-$1500 range. For essentially the same price you can get a Macbook Pro with twice as much memory and a 2.4Ghz dual-core i7 processor. The Macbook Pro also comes with a larger display and many more port options. The only sacrifice you make is portability. Or you can get a desktop with a 3.4GHz Quad Core i7 processor with an 8MB L3 Cache and 12GB of memory for under $1000. A laptop with those specs would cost you 2-4 times as much.

Unless your budget is $2000-$3000 I would seriously evaluate whether you really need the portability that a laptop gives you. If you work while traveling a lot or if you work from multiple locations then a laptop makes sense. If you normally work from the same location and just travel occasionally, then I would get a desktop and keep your x200 to use while traveling.

For your use-case, which is similar to my own, I recommend a quad-core i5 or i7 somewhere in the 2.2-2.8Ghz range. I recommend 4-8GB of memory; more if you use virtual machines for your work. I also recommend getting a solid state drive in addition to a normal mechanical drive. Put the files and programs you are actively working with onto the solid state drive and use the mechanical drive for general storage.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi e-oreo and thanks for your reply!!

Well, I do need mobility-
    I work at half the times from coffee shops and from home, and half of the time from my office. So mobility is key- otherwise I wouldn't go for ultramobiles.

The Lenovo x200s was *the* ultramobile back when I bought it- and it has a 1.8 duo.

But my first question is still something I havnt figured out-
    If I switch to Macbook Air dual-core 1.8GHz Intel Core i7 with 4MB shared L3 cache-
    I just want to know if I should expect a significant increase in the speed things get with the new computer (comparing to the Lenovo 1.8 duo), or not.

I'd greatly appreciate your reply.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I would venture to say that you would see a significant increase in speed, but it's really hard to tell unless you can find benchmarks that actually compare the two.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  9. No Profile Picture

Nice move.You can feel the difference,when you switch.
  11. No Profile Picture

If you're planning to switch from Lenovo to Macbook air your are going forward not backwards.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo