1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How do you tell if your computer has been overclocked?

Is my cpu overclocked?

I bought this old and used Compaq Presario R3000 and I want to know if it has been overclocked. I looked around and I found this rather popular software called CPU-Z that is supposed to tell things like this. I am not sure how to read it. It's unclear to me what things like: core speed, multiplier, bus speed, rated FSB mean.

Here is what the program says:

Is my cpu overclocked?
    How do I know if it is?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Actually at the time that you took the screenshot it was underclocked. That isn't unusual for a mobile CPU though, as they are usually configured to underclock themselves when not under load.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    Actually at the time that you took the screenshot it was underclocked. That isn't unusual for a mobile CPU though, as they are usually configured to underclock themselves when not under load.
    How can you tell if it's underclocked or overclocked? Would you explain please?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It the Clocks section it shows your core speed as 1600Mhz. In the Processor section the CPU is listed as a 2800Mhz chip. Since 1600 < 2800 I know it's underclocked, if the core speed were greater than the CPU specification speed then I would know it was overclocked.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo