1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

tell me everything i need to know about Pentium 4 and which comp to buy

i made a post before about purchasing an Athlon XP 2800+ computer, but then i decided to wait till i a good deal comes along for a Pentium 4 comp. now i need everyones advice on which p4 to choose from, i basically have these choices (from dell),

price
    349 - PentiumŪ 4 Processor at 2.66GHz with 533MHz
    front side bus

PentiumŪ 4 Processor at 2.80GHz with 533MHz
    front side bus (add $20)
    (both dimension 2400)

480 - PentiumŪ 4 Processor with HT Technology 2.8GHz
    w/800MHz FSB

PentiumŪ 4 Processor with HT Technology 3GHz
    w/800MHz FSB (add $50)

PentiumŪ 4 Processor with HT Technology
    3.06GHz w/533MHz FSB (extra $50)
    (all 3 dimension 4600 except the tower for
    the 3.06ghz is 20$ more)

i dont really know much about p4's FSB, i came across this deal yesterday but couldnt decide which tower or which p4 to choose from. this new comp is basically going to be for school work(programming) and just to have a 2nd comp around the house. can any explain the how the 800MHz FSB and the 533MHz FSB works? or which front side bus to choose from along with which GHz. since there is about a 150$ difference between a p4 and p4 HT, i need recommendations on whether to go with HT or not. im not looking to get a comp that has the fastest cpu, im basically looking for a computer that will last me a while speedwise and if there is a huge difference between a 2.66GHz and a 2.80. or the 2.8 HT and the 3.0 HT.

ive heard alot of good things about HT but wasnt sure if i needed a p4 HT since its a 100 something dollar difference. and im looking for something that'll last which i think intel would do. any suggestions, advice, dell users. help me decide!
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

It all depends on what youre using it for. Just for word processing, internet, general programming, they will all work. If possible, you want the faster fsb speed, it will allow faster data transfer, and improve performance. HT will also improve performance, for programs that are made to take advantage of that. I would probably get the 2.8p4 800mhz fsb.
    However, there are more elements to consider than just the processor speed for performance. I think those cheap computers come with only 256mb of RAM, and it may even be shared (no video card). You want at least 512 if you plan to have more than a program or two running at once, and definitely if you want to play games. (For games, you will also need a graphics card, rather than onboard).
    Basically, for the baseline, I would get the 2.8ghz 800fsb, and up the RAM to 512mb if necessary.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Usually I start with the motherboard requisite and then figure out what CPU I can afford and match the two. I think 1GB RAM is almost mandatory with the dreck people pollute their machines with these days.

The thing about buying a pre-made desktop is that they buy cheaper parts, which might not give the best performance but you don't really see that when you only look at processor speed, disk capacity and RAM w/o looking at how fast all that works together. My frankentower 2.6 will blow away a Dell 3.06 in a benchmark test, I really have no doubt about it. You really need to look at the big picture because very rarely will you ever get the most out of your CPU unless you're doing hardcore gaming or video editing or audio recording. If you're surfing the web it's a trivial factor. A comfortable monitor would be much more important then.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo