1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

what type of psu is needed for my computer having specifications

can any one suggest what type of psu is needed for my computer having specifications given below

system spec

msi motherboard P4M(km266) with onboard videocard(S3 prosavage ddr)
    intel celeron 2.4 GHz processor
    512 mb ram( 2 - 256 MB)
    cd drive,
    one DVD RW
    Nvidia Geforce 128mb graphics card(4Mx) in AGP slot
    have one processor fan, one system fan and one coming with psu

i am currently using 350 w psu but it is giving lot of problems so i want to replace it with new one

thanks in advance
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Looking to upgrade soon (new motherboard, video, RAM, etc.) I would say 450W that has multiple 12V rails. Otherwise a decent 380W should be more than fine for a 266 gen. system.

If you are looking to upgrade I would say get a decent case that comes with 400/450W PSU as often you get an Antec case or something along that line with a good PSU and not pay a lot for the case you get. I say this because most newer systems (motherboard, ram, disks, etc.) get really hot if used in smaller/older cases.

If you tight for $ then just get a decent 380W and it will be ample. If you are having problems you should also look over motherboard capacitors and MOSFETs before connecting a new PSU and make sure not motherboard that is your problem. Capacitors will buldge or leak from top and MOSFETs surface look bubbled or discoloring on board around MOSFETs.

I would tell you exactly what PSU to get but a decent PSU depends on the types they sell where you go as well as the amount of $//etc. you have.
    Last edited by shakey1980; October 22nd, 2005 at 04:47 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo