1. No Profile Picture
    Dim Brendan as Noob
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Upgrading from an AMD Sempron 754 Socket

Hey, my Best Buy has a badass deal for this computer:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7558751&productCategoryId=pcmcat45100050045&type=product&tab=1&id=1128989694745

It's 300 dollers for that computer, a printer, and a moniter.

I am looking to get it, buy a GeForce 6800 GT OC AGP Video card and then upgrade the processor.

Problem is, I don't know what other processors are compatible with this one. Can I put an intel chip in it? I want at least 2.8 GHz, and I don't want to spend much more than 200 dollers.

Can someone help me out? Thanks.

P.S.

I want to use this computer for high-end games like Battlefield 2. I will also use it for Macromedia Flash 8 and other high end computer intesive programs for Web Design and Graphic Design.

Thanks.
    Last edited by TwinChromeGlock; November 14th, 2005 at 07:00 PM.
  3. www.devhardware.com/forums

First conclusion: This computer will not work for high-end games. For the start, your video card will suck...

Pretty honestly, at this price getting a high end gaming machine is extremely difficult...you are looking at investing atleast another 400$-500$ for that purpose...
    For your more complex hardware related problems, visit DevShed's sister forums: DevHardware
    If you don't already know about it, please checkout our guide to Folding@Home . Join DevHardware team and help cure diseases. Your support is valuable and much appreciated. *
  5. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Page doesn't exist any more, but if you haven't decided yet...
    Anything you can get for that cheap will cost more to upgrade than just buying something better in the first place, or building your own. If it has a Sempron (or any other AMD chip) you can't put in an Intel, and if you are looking for gaming, AMD is better anyway.
    Build your own with an AMD 64+ cpu and be very happy
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

is the computer a socket 754? No dual channel (the the fact that it's s754) means what they said above - not very good for gaming. My s754 system with it's high end vid card still lags (oddly enough). Go for s939 with a nice venice or sandy for a budget gaming system. and that's not a bad card (vid), with some overclocking and upgraded cooling

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo