1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Upgrading CPU DELL latitude C400

Hi,anybody know whats involved to change a CPU on a dell latitude C400,it has a 733mhz now but would prefer a 1200mhz????? Can it be done?
  3. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

take the hard drive out and put it in a new laptop

so umm, not practical, its soldered on by a robot, there is no way your getting it off without a multi-million dollar machine, just go out and buy a new laptop, that why you always need to buy the must expensive laptop you can afford, you don't get to upgrade it like a desktop

Comments on this post

• medialint agrees
  5. duffy duck

I've got an old dell as well but the hassle of replacing/upgrading it is not worth the risk-return ratio. Some dude did it as you can see here on the net but he warns you it's at your own risk. Its much easier to follow edman's advice and get a new inexpensive one.
    Just call me duffy!
  7. No Profile Picture

Angry Laptop Cpu's Are Swapable!!!

[/QUOTE]so umm, not practical, its soldered on by a robot, there is no way your getting it off without a multi-million dollar machine, just go out and buy a new laptop, that why you always need to buy the must expensive laptop you can afford, you don't get to upgrade it like a desktop[/QUOTE]

i know this post is very old but just wanted to point out that laptop cpu's are replaceable...and are rarely fixed...they usually have the same cpu socket that is found in normal computers only smaller and made for special less power hungry and heat producing cpu's it depends wether your laptop will support an upgrade because of the power needed but most importantly the heat produced...the dell c400 ships with the same heatsink [i think] but with different cpu's like a 866mhz or a 1.2ghz...so you should be able to swap them.....without anyprobs.....
  9. No Profile Picture

not easily replaceable

Some are socketed but not this one. It is soldered to the motherboard. There is a motherboard a 7W455 with a 1.33 ghz pIII made for it.It too is soldered in.

Comments on this post

• karsh44 disagrees : It's a zombie!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo