1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Whic is the fasted CPU in the market?

hi,

i have been trying to search for the fastest cpu available in the market at the moment and i came to know about this cpu from intel.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=13160404664&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=93114

it has a clock speed of 3.8 ghz which to me seems to be the fastest at the moment.does any one know about a cpu which has a faster clock speed than this one? i know that the speed or performace of a cpu depends upon a range of factors which are listed below.

• clock speed or frequency
      level 1 cache
      level 2 cache
      bus speed

are there any other factors to be taken into account when deciding the fastest cpu overall? i m not into hardware much but would appreciate as much tech info as possible.cheers.
  3. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

other very very important factors

number pipelines
    number of cores
    bus/core width
    bus to core clock ratio
    operations per cycle
    CPU extensions
    socket

and with that said, i would say the fastest consumer level x86 CPU is this

of course different CPUs excel at different applications, but that is what i would buy if i had a lot of money (unless you want to go into specialized processors and into different architecture)
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

First lesson... despite what Intel would have you believe (until this coming year when they go back on it and claim that their new chips are innovative and efficient... aka what AMD has been doing) overall coreclock is not the deciding factor in a CPU's peformance.

Personally, I think that 3.8 would be spanked in many tasks by a 2.6-2.8GHz K8 AMD.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo