1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Does Windows7 allow you to change Processor speed?

Hi,

I was wondering if Windows7 has any inbuilt functionality to change the Processor speed! If not, then is there any other software (possible Windows7 compatible) that allows me to accomplish this.

I have a problem (previously reported here) that when the processor is running at 2000MHz the screen starts to flicker. I therefore would like to reduce the number of MHz so that it runs at a comfortable speed.

Please note that I did download the AMD driver for my processor and this just makes the processor run at its maximum speed - that is 2000MHz, while on WindowsXP without this driver the processor used to run at 800MHz.

Regards,
    Sim085
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by sim085
    I was wondering if Windows7 has any inbuilt functionality to change the Processor speed!
    I think I found it. Although not directly changing the CPU MHz, what you can do is go to 'Power Options' -> 'Change Plan Settings' -> 'Change Advanced Power Settings'. Scroll down the selected list and expand the tree of 'Processor Power Management' -> 'Maximum processor state'. I set mine to 60% for both on battery and plugged in. In this way my Laptop is no longer flickering

Note that you would have to do this for all the plans you have. I do not know if this option was also in XP and Vista. But sure it helps to have it here.

Regards,
    Sim085
  5. Jealous Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Does the BIOS provide a way to throttle it down?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

hmmmmmm i m gonna tr it forsureee
  9. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Usually use BIOS to change the speed, nothing wrong about windows

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo