Thread: cpu fight

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question cpu fight

A big question which cpu gives us the better performance on programmes like maya, 3ds, flash, photoshop, some capture etc athlon fx 64 or intel P4 ??? your opinions would be very helpful thanks
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

An FX-53 will generally beat an ordinary P4, may be just a hair slower than a P4EE, but its really close. If cost is no object, the P4EE might be better, but probably not worth the extra $200 or so over the FX. For that matter, an ordinary 3400+ 64 would be pretty darn fast. However, for graphics workstation type stuff (like you seem to be thinking), you may be better off going with dual Opterons or Xeons.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

However, for graphics workstation type stuff (like you seem to be thinking), you may be better off going with dual Opterons or Xeons.
    To what extent does a change in cpu affect the graphics performance?(assuming of course, there is a graphics card) I thought graphics computations and processor computations were handled by different, independent info streams.

What if the software is not equipped for optimized parallel computing?
  7. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Notice I said may be beneficial. If he's using software that won't use dual processors effectively, that wouldn't help. As far as the benefit, for games and such that are displayed on the computer, the video card is the biggest component, though the cpu does play a role (however, for things like gaming, dual cpus generally perform a bit worse than a single high performance cpu). I was thinking of a graphics workstation, where he would be doing rendering, video editing, etc. Those operations are performed by the cpu, and dual (or more) is faster.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo