1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Cool hardware for UNDER clocking?

Hello, I'm seeking to build ultra long life systems, I'm not concerned with speed, only durability. What is a good choice in a mobo and cpu that will allow me to significantly underclock my system? Thanks for any advice

Johnny
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Most motherboards will allow you to reduce the fsb and underclock the system. Really though, I don't think you'll get much increase in life out of it, the CPU isn't the part that fails most often. For increased life, I would be sure to plug into a good surge protector, and maybe get a UPS. Also be very careful with moving the system, and clean out the dust from time to time. That alone should keep everything running for years. What sort of timeline are you looking at, and what application requires such long life?
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

ASUS Ai series motherboards let you underclock and overclock at will using a windows utility. It's almost idiot proof.

I'll tell you why I will want to underclock:

I live in a triangle, otherwise known as the attic of a victorian home in san francisco. While normally the temperatures here are mild, on those days when it hits 85F outside, it reaches 105F inside. On such days, computers run so hot they stop functioning. Underclocking should help.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo