1. No Profile Picture
    Web Geek
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

System Idle Processes always at 90%+?

My computer's taking forever to boot up anything. I have an Athlon XP2000, and it takes Win2K 10 minutes to boot up.

When I take a look at my processes, System Idle Processes is always taking at least 90% of my processing power, even if I'm running something along the lines of a virus scan, norton system doctor/disk doctor, or telling it to check if my 1 gig of game data is the most current.

Shouldn't system idle process take less percent if I'm doing something on the computer? What could cause this problem?

Thanks.

-Nick
    Do not reinvent the wheel, unless your new wheel works that much better.
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

"System Idle Processes" doesn't do anything, its just what the cpu does when its not doing anything. The slow performance may not be due to the cpu, but maybe you have a bottleneck with a slow hard drive or something. You didnt give more detail, so there's no speculating on that.

Get ad-aware, spybot search&destroy, and CWShredder. Run each, rebooting in between, to clear out any malware that might be gumming up the works. Also defrag the hard drive, multiple times if necessary.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. No Profile Picture

Hey! If you have installed some unnecessary programs then remove it and restart the system. If this does not solve the problem, then your system may be infected by Virus. You can install an anti virus and scan the system. You can scan your system online free of cost. Try this URL and browse it. You should be able to scan your system online. You may have to register yourself to avail this facility, but registration is free. The URL is http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp. Hope this should solve your problem.
  7. No Profile Picture

Unhappy

I have this problem too i even tryed shuting it down but it wont let me (maby a good thing but i dont know ) but i didnt have this problem till i repared windows. well the problem before reparing my computer was i borrowed my brothers copy but when i tryed to activate it it stoped me from being used to much so i bought my own copy (happy to say now ) then i typed my own in then when it was done i all the sudden got this System Idle Prossess slowing down my "all so nice computer" and it takes 99% of my process space.
  9. Just another guy

Not really clear what you've done. Read my earlier post. If this is a recent install without much on it, just reformat. Else do as I suggested earlier, let us know what happens.
    --Dave--

11. No Profile Picture

thanks

thanks ill try that
  13. No Profile Picture

Red face dohh!

Well i found out what it is i had to think about it a little bit.
    Ill try to explane it as much as possible, all it is, is when your not doing anything it goes up to about 99 the more you do the more it goes down. if its going down to about 10 id think you would need more ram, or maby to many viruses so i think this is really not a bad thing i think its most likely a good thing.
  15. Just another guy

Sorry, I thought that was clear from my first post. It is completely normal for the System Idle processes to take up most of the cpu time, because thats what the cpu does when its not doing anything else.
    --Dave--

17. No Profile Picture

test for idle

Here's a simple test. Make the screen you're looking at a lot smaller but don't minimize. Click and drag the window around your desktop. The quicker you drag the less % it should show.
  19. No Profile Picture

99% of 1%

The percent you are seeing of the system idle process is the percent of the system idle process of all the processes that are doing anything. In other words, if nothing is happening then the CPU is working at or below 1%. System idle process is using around 99% of the 1%. Look at the Windows Task Manager (if XP) and you will see the CPU usage %. When my machine is doing nothing it says 0 or 1% but the system idle process is running at 99% of that 1%.

However, I am here because my HD sounds like it is running when nothing is on. This happens most of the time but not all of the time. I have used adaware and Spybot both. They show nothing wrong. The only process doing anything is system idle process. But, the system idle process is 99 when the HD sound like there running and it is 99 when the HDs are quiet. It sounds the same when the HD is defragging or looking for viruses.

Any ideas?
  21. No Profile Picture

Unhappy My fathers does the same at startup

I came across this site as my hard drive was running on after I rebooted my computer so I checked the task manager and it showed system idle it was not running at 100 % though. But ever since my father installed norton internet security 2004 his does the same as the first posters the hard drive will run for about 10 minuts and the CPU usage shows 100 %. He will not touch even a key on his keyboard untill this has stopped . If I try and touch a key before this he freaks out . I have told him that computers are capable of multitasking but he just sits and waits .
    any Ideas?

Larry
    ve7lgt@rac.ca
  23. No Profile Picture

Red face SYSTEM IDLE PROCESS does what?

The SYSTEM IDLE PROCESS is a necessary function of your computer which is normally around 100 CPU,this is a function you do not want to change! Several reasons could be the cause of freeze up, slow boot up, or shut down. This I found out through a very tedious process of trial and error.
    One could be your SYSTEM STARTUP CONFIGURATION, a disk cleanup needed, old program buildup, and on! Everything is researchable which is the great thing about computers if you can keep the thing running!
    try to help anyone if I can, just ask!
  25. Just another guy

Ok, I think its been established that System Idle is actually not doing anything and should be a high % of cpu when the system is not busy. I'm closing this thread. Any other questions, ask in your own thread.
    --Dave--

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo