1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question installed new CPU but it reads it as the old CPU

i upgraded my CPU from a 1.1ghz Athlon to a 1700+ Athlon. i installed it properly and my computer, but under control panel-performance and matinence it says i still have a amd 1.1ghz... i asked some about this and he said "you need to go in the bios and change the FSB to 133 (curretly set to default which is 100)."

i am a complete noob at hardware and isn't that overclocking and won't it hurt my motherboard/cpu????

and how to i do it????
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

no no that's not overclocking because as it stands now ur cpu is underclocked, because of the default setting by the motherboard. upping the default fsb to where it should be is just setting it in its right place. that's very common for the motherboard to come set to a lower fsb than it can support so that you dont damage ur cpu if you buy an old one or downgrade or something of that nature. u should be fine, and it doesn't require hardware knowledge, as it can be set from in the bios like the person u asked said. there's generally a certain button you press on boot up that might be displayed where you access the BIOS. good luck

oh and if u can list the brand and/or model number of ur motherboard then someone might be able to tell you how to get into your BIOS
  5. No Profile Picture

thanks alot~~ heres my motherboard http://www.s87841630.onlinehome.us/model/uwave/uwaver.html
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

wow that's a pretty old board ya got there. u could easily upgrade to a newer 333 or 400fsb motherboard and a "new" athlon XP for under $150. that's always something to think about as well, since u usually get newer, better, and more advanced bios, but at least u got the highest cpu ur mobo can support. i'll probably do the same with this board and get like a 3200+ in a year or so when it's like 50 bucks haha. i dont know much about bios but i do know that my abit bios kicks the living day-lights out of my old Dell bios
  9. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Buying a new mobo or cpu is a decent idea from a performance standpoint. However, to fix your problem, you do need to change from a 100mhz fsb to 133. This might be done in bios, but I would guess there's probably jumpers on the mobo itself for this setting. Check the manual.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo