1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Exclamation Prescott or Northwood?

i am buying a new PC and my setup (without spending too much) is based on the ASUS P4P800e deluxe Mobo and a 3GHz Intel P4

Now I am reading that there is P4 prescott and p4 northwood and got completely confused.

which I should go for Pescott or NW???

is the mobo a good choice for 3Ghz system ?

I am not much in overclocking 8maybe 3.2GHz and will use the computer for graphic applications, TC card, Movie making (Pinnacle Studio 8), and quite CPU hungry programs but not much into games.

Your help worths Gold
  3. No Profile Picture

Cool asus p4p800 deluxe

be very carefull when tring to run other cpu on this board.I have same one and asus says it will run others but i have intel celeron D 2.4GHZ FSB 533 and it wont run even with new bios,it seems this board only supports pentium 4 up to 3ghz.On intel web site it says this board does not support celerons over 400mhz.Asus says it does,but neither asus or intel will respond to a question about it.This asus board is the worst I have owned and this cpu intel celeron D is the worst cpu I have used.
  5. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

IMHO, go with the northwood. You'll avoid any compatibility issues, and its probably going to be faster than the prescott for many apps anyway (due to the shorter pipeline). Northwoods also run a bit cooler and thus OC a little easier than Prescotts (with a good cooler).
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Tnx

thanks for replying and putting light in my mind !

Originally Posted by karsh44
    IMHO, go with the northwood. You'll avoid any compatibility issues, and its probably going to be faster than the prescott for many apps anyway (due to the shorter pipeline). Northwoods also run a bit cooler and thus OC a little easier than Prescotts (with a good cooler).
  9. No Profile Picture

I wuld go for the prescott!!! it has much more cache! and it is overall faster.... the temperature is no problem! i have a frient thar runs a 3Ghz @ 4Ghz with onley 2 degrees over normal and normal is around 50 at all prescott.... plus that prescott can handle more pressure and tempetature than northwood!

Prescott is eaven more stable!
    ------------------
    |..::sGt. Klang::..|
    ------------------
  11. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

There are a few apps (Doom 3, for instance) where the larger cache can make up for the longer pipeline in the prescott, but for many uses, a 3ghz Northwood is faster than a 3ghz prescott. Several online comparisons back this up. I'd probably just get whatever is cheaper, since I never use stock heatsinks, so temp wouldn't be a problem.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo