1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Angry Troubles Clocking a Barton 2600+

I've always had trouble with AMD's for some reason. Before I owned a P4 2Ghz and never had problems but after trying AMD, i've had nothing but problems.

I had Duron 1.8 ghz in an MSI KT600 board, and could not get it to run past 1.3 ghz (100FSB, 13.5 multi), the default setting. I could change the FSB and the multi; but I would only get a powered up machine with no video, and would have to reset the BIOS. After updating the BIOS, the same problem happened but I could not reset the BIOS this time, for some reason.

Anyways, now I have a Barton 2600+ running in a PCChips M86GS board. The multi was locked, but I was actually able to kick up the FSB to 100, 133 and 166 after a while (with the PCChips motherboard, no less!) and it ran fine. But because I had inadequate case cooling, it ran hot and components tended to fail. Since I dont have the money for anything else, and I was running the CPU with silver compound (applied diligently) I decided to bump the FSB down to 133 and run it like that. But, after doing so, I restarted and there was once again, no video, and I was unable to reset the BIOS to mend the problems. Now I have to wait till Christmas to get new parts in. Could this problem be due to bad RAM? Also, is my CPU now damaged? The temperatures never got above 65C (AMD's website states that the hottest a 2600+ can get is 85C). What do you think?

System Specs:
    PCChips M86GS MB
    40 GB HD
    400 Watt PS
    Athlon XP 2600+ cpu
    1 stick of pc2700 512MB ram
    1 stick of pc2100 256MB ram
  3. fifo

When you power up, do you get a beep, or compination of beeps? If not does your m/b have a pc speaker? (aparently some don't these days - annoying)
    Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on. - Billy Connolly
  5. No Profile Picture

Nah, it doesn't POST at all. I believe the hard drives spinup, and all IDE components turn on and stay on. Floppy drive light does not come on, however.

Sorry for the other post, that was a goof.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Check your Video and RAM and make sure they are well seated. Did you adjust any of the voltage settings? Sometimes too much voltage can fry a CPU just as easily as too much heat and not enough voltage can prevent it from booting at all. Check the CPU, does it smell burned? You can usually tell when a CPU is burned; it smells nasty. If your motherboard doesn't have a lock on the PCI/AGP clocks it is possible you damaged your video card from overclocking the bus. From the reviews I've read, the Barton cores, although possible, are very hard to overclock reliably.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo