1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How much preformance boost will this cpu give me

Hi,
    I want to upgrade from an amd xp 2000+ cpu to an amd xp 2500+ mobile cpu. If I plan on overclocking how much of a preformance boost would I get?

heres my computer
    abit nf7-s
    amd xp 2000+
    512mb pc2700 ram
    radeon 9800pro
  3. Contributing User

Posts on web saying expect to get around 2100 to 2200 MHz overclocking the Barton 2500. I would say if you have the abit nf7-s version 2 you would overclock better than previous version, as version 2 has the 200MHz to overclock with (people OCing that CPU 11 x 200 to get 2200MHz). However, I don't think you will achieve the 200MHz as that would likely require PC3200 RAM and you have PC2700. Other people are uping just the multiplier and getting around 2100MHz. 2200MHz would put you around an Athlon 3200+ and be a huge jump from the Athlon 2000+ you have right now.

I would say you be better off to save your money and put towards an AMD-64 system (replace MB, CPU and RAM down the road). You could see about selling your current MB, CPU and RAM to put towards a new AMD-64 system. I have upgraded my Athlon, and at same time built people new AMD-64 systems. The AMD-64 systems are superior for gaming (SSE2 support in the AMD-64 not in barton core).

I seen a place on web with Sempron info posted and seemed to indicate Sempron has SSE2 support, but I don't think the socket A semprons have SSE2. You could double check but I am pretty sure Socket A sempron "do not" have SSE2 support.

I am assuming you into gaming, seeing you have a "radeon 9800pro", and if so getting SSE2 be big gain for you.
  5. No Profile Picture

Can't really afford an a64 system at the moment because college is so expensive . If I decide to get this cpu I'll probably upgrade to pc3200 ram. How long do you think I can play most of the newest games for if I upgrade the cpu?
  7. Contributing User

Me neither, for the afford an AMD-64

I got a Thoroughbred-B 2200+ overclocked to performance a little below an Athlon 3000+. A very cheap video card (9200SE 128DDR overclocked to performance just above GF2 Ti). I am running 166FSB with 512MB 333MHz RAM (PC3200 running at 333) on a A7V8X-X motherboard.

My expectations for gaming are not high, obviously with a 9200SE, but would figure you are good for a couple of years of gaming with an upgrade/overclock to around Athlon 3100-3200. Then again I am not a big gamer, and it depends a lot on your expectations (expected FPS). Problem is if you ask a big gamer chances are they will feel every fraction of a FPS counts and will belittle your PC.

I think the true life expectancy of your PC depends on how much the game developers rush to have SSE2 do the number crunching for them. You might want to investigate how much game makers are pushing SSE2 before you decide (if they feel it is a necessity for near future gaming).
  9. No Profile Picture

Just ordered the cpu, but I need to buy new ram also.
    is this ram good for minor overclocking? I don't want anything too expensive
    http://anitec.ca/?mode=product_detail&pid=106
  11. Contributing User

Yes, apparently can up VDIMM on Samsung and overclock it a bit. But watch temp on ram, make sure clear to get lots of air flow, or put on ram-sinks.

I know there are different revisions to your board, older do not have 400MHz RAM support where new revisions do. Should first investigate your board's revision and check support for PC3200, VDIMM adjustment, etc. I pointed out versions of your board in previous post and assume you have the version 2.

I think can adjust VDIMM from BIOS for your board, else would be soldering of motherboard involved and that is risky (can burn motherboard and kill it, new motherboards are made with layers and risky to solder).

After you confirm PC3200 support, VDIMM adjustment, etc. I would say google your board and VDIMM to see what sort of results people are posting, so you know what VDIMM/OC you will get/set.
  13. Registered User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by dbzsongoku
    Hi,
    I want to upgrade from an amd xp 2000+ cpu to an amd xp 2500+ mobile cpu. If I plan on overclocking how much of a preformance boost would I get?

heres my computer
    abit nf7-s
    amd xp 2000+
    512mb pc2700 ram
    radeon 9800pro
    mobile? you mean you can overclock a laptop? someone told me not to... (probably because of overheating, and its hard to add cooling features?)
    Last edited by pmam21; April 17th, 2005 at 03:37 AM.
  15. Contributing User

Can get mobile chip to use in a desktop computer motherboard. You are right, avoid overclocking laptop as is next to impossible to compensate for extra heat like you can a desktop.
  17. No Profile Picture

yeah i got the rev 2 version of the motherboard.

Do you know if the ram I posted earlier is the exact same model as this one?

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=9545&vpn=SAMSUNG3200-512M&manufacture=Samsung
  19. Contributing User

Hard to say second is not posting the CL # such as the first is CL 3 which is pretty standard for PC3200 in that price range. I have Crucial PC3200 CL 3, but my board does not allow me to up the ram voltage for me to play
  21. No Profile Picture

Probably going to pick up the ram in the first link for chirstmas.
    thanks for the help.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo