1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Questions on upgrading CPU & mobo for a gaming pc.

Hi, I recently wanted to upgrade some parts of my system. My motherboard is old and really pissing me off because it doesn;t support *alot* of new features and I have to buy old hardware. So here are some of my questions:

First off, if I get a new motherboard will I have to format Windows? If so is there a way I can have a clean reinstall?

Can I find a motherboard that'll support my old hardware (AGP, para. HDD, ddr) as well as new? And as a side note, can I use two RAM sticks at different freq's/types?

Now onto the CPU, I need a CPU will nice speed but I haven't been keeping up much with new hardware. I don't really know the differences between AMD and Intel if someone can just point me to some articles. I don't need to overclock really because I have default fans and all and don't want to get water cooling. I'm not really on a budget but generally under 150 for mobo and under 500 for chip.

Thank you very much for your time.
    Slash should link to SlashDot
  3. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by E D D ! 3
    Hi, I recently wanted to upgrade some parts of my system. My motherboard is old and really pissing me off because it doesn;t support *alot* of new features and I have to buy old hardware. So here are some of my questions:
    I feel your pain this comptuer is going on 6 years old.

First off, if I get a new motherboard will I have to format Windows? If so is there a way I can have a clean reinstall?
    Not necessarily. If the motherboard is in the same family you might be able to squeak by. This is how it is been with me with installing Windows over various computers with different hardware. Plug the hard drive in and if it hangs on a loading Windows screen then you will have to format, otherwise if it works it should be good.

Can I find a motherboard that'll support my old hardware (AGP, para. HDD, ddr) as well as new? And as a side note, can I use two RAM sticks at different freq's/types?
    Most new motherboards will support older cards. You can't use sticks of memory with different frequencies because the bus can only take 1 frequency at a time.

Now onto the CPU, I need a CPU will nice speed but I haven't been keeping up much with new hardware. I don't really know the differences between AMD and Intel if someone can just point me to some articles. I don't need to overclock really because I have default fans and all and don't want to get water cooling. I'm not really on a budget but generally under 150 for mobo and under 500 for chip.

Thank you very much for your time.
    www.amd.com and www.intel.com

It's a matter of preference. I like AMD better. AMDs have been known to be more solid.

Comments on this post

• E D D ! 3 agrees
    Codeinated
  5. Registered User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by cody_e
    It's a matter of preference. I like AMD better. AMDs have been known to be more solid.
    And it burns.

If you're going single-core, go with Intel. Otherwise, AMD is better in dual-core.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by pmam21
    And it burns.

If you're going single-core, go with Intel. Otherwise, AMD is better in dual-core.
    ???

There is something seriously wrong with you if you're recommending a Netburst Intel for a gaming rig. Dothan, fine, if you want to invest the money, time, and cooling equipment to overclock it and void any warranty.... and deal with sub-par performance in other tasks.

The latter part of that, I must agree with however. Unless you need a really low entry point price, stick with AMD in the dual core arena.
  9. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

on the AMD vs Intel, AMD is considered the king for a gaming PC, its not a matter of preference there

as for your other questions, windows 2000+ needs to be reformatted, win98 may work without a reformat, a 64 bit CPU needs a new OS, well is better with one (64 bit version OS)

and for the compatibility, drives and PCI will be compatible, RAM and CPU, probably not unless you go for a small jump in which case its barely worth it, if you go for a big upgrade the things that are compatible will probably be not good enough and you will need a new one to get all your speed
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for all the great replies. I guess I'll stick with my Asus- P4S8X-X and Intel 2.66 for now, their pretty good.
    Slash should link to SlashDot
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by edman007
    as for your other questions, windows 2000+ needs to be reformatted, win98 may work without a reformat, a 64 bit CPU needs a new OS, well is better with one (64 bit version OS)
    Yeah, but none of those are suitable for a gaming rig. Win98 neds to die, Win2000, though a good OS, has limited gaming support, and WinXP 64-bit is plagued with driver problems, especially for graphics cards, which are important in gaming.

and for the compatibility, drives and PCI will be compatible,
    Drives yes, PCI not necessarily. You can get a PCI motherboard, just don't get a PCI-E one if you want to use PCI cards. There's a good chance you won't need many of your old PCI cards; many new mobos have onboard sound and gigabit or at least 10/100 ethernet.

RAM and CPU, probably not unless you go for a small jump in which case its barely worth it, if you go for a big upgrade the things that are compatible will probably be not good enough and you will need a new one to get all your speed
    Not sure what you mean.

RAM and CPU should be fine, if you set the BIOS up to run RAM at the appropriate divider, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue here unless you running DDR333 RAM or something like that. Even if that's the case, you could possibly remedy the situation if your RAM is overclockable at all, and if you're willing to do it.

Comments on this post

• E D D ! 3 agrees : Thanks :)
  15. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Originally Posted by archnaid
    Yeah, but none of those are suitable for a gaming rig. Win98 neds to die, Win2000, though a good OS, has limited gaming support, and WinXP 64-bit is plagued with driver problems, especially for graphics cards, which are important in gaming.
    i know, just stating the facts...

Drives yes, PCI not necessarily. You can get a PCI motherboard, just don't get a PCI-E one if you want to use PCI cards. There's a good chance you won't need many of your old PCI cards; many new mobos have onboard sound and gigabit or at least 10/100 ethernet.
    actually almost all boards on the market now support the same PCI, the cheapest boards, server boards, high end gaming boards, they all have at least 1 standard PCI slot, boards with PCI-E or PCI-X still have standard PCI support

RAM and CPU should be fine, if you set the BIOS up to run RAM at the appropriate divider, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue here unless you running DDR333 RAM or something like that. Even if that's the case, you could possibly remedy the situation if your RAM is overclockable at all, and if you're willing to do it.
    i was not blessed with his system specs as i am now assuming a gaming rig you would want a high end board which is going to take different RAM and a different socket, hence neither would work, however looking at the specs now i see that it may be possible to get a high end board that takes the same CPU/RAM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo