1. !Ruff Ryder!
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Unlocking AMD chips.

I have a Athlon XP 2800+ and when overclocking I thought it sucked that my chip was locked.

I've seen the procedure here: (Scroll all the way to the bottom)

It seems easy enough but I was wondering if anybody here has ever done it and wants to share their experience at attempting this. (Or suggestions on whether I should do it or not...)
    My b0x:
    AMD XP Barton 2800+ @ Stock speed... (going up again soon in winter!!!)
    2 x 512MB Kingston RAM for 1GB dual channel
    1 x 120GB HDD (soon another ) ( <-- God I've been saying this for like a year )
    SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS (0wN5!!!)
    Logitech Z-5300 speakers (0wN5!!!)
    ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro (0wN5!!!)
    Black ViewSonic A91f+@1280x1024@75Hz (0wN5!!!) (Well, too bad I can't go 1600x1200 above 60Hz )

If I helped you out please consider helping a poor college student get a free iPod for his long commute by signing up here with my referal link:
    My Link
    (I will pay you $10-$20 if you want to cover the cost of the offer for you. ***This ISNT a scam. I personally know a girl who recieved one a few months ago!***)
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I've never done that before but it looks very easy to do
  5. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

i haven't done it, but i have heard of people doing it and working, and they used a pencil (just draw lines instead of using that silver stuff)
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by edman007
    i haven't done it, but i have heard of people doing it and working, and they used a pencil (just draw lines instead of using that silver stuff)
    Is led conductive?
  9. !Ruff Ryder!
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Actually I forgot to post back but I figured out that after a certain date all processors were "super locked" and therefore this trick didn't work anymore. Too bad.....
    My b0x:
    AMD XP Barton 2800+ @ Stock speed... (going up again soon in winter!!!)
    2 x 512MB Kingston RAM for 1GB dual channel
    1 x 120GB HDD (soon another ) ( <-- God I've been saying this for like a year )
    SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS (0wN5!!!)
    Logitech Z-5300 speakers (0wN5!!!)
    ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro (0wN5!!!)
    Black ViewSonic A91f+@1280x1024@75Hz (0wN5!!!) (Well, too bad I can't go 1600x1200 above 60Hz )

If I helped you out please consider helping a poor college student get a free iPod for his long commute by signing up here with my referal link:
    My Link
    (I will pay you $10-$20 if you want to cover the cost of the offer for you. ***This ISNT a scam. I personally know a girl who recieved one a few months ago!***)
  11. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Originally Posted by nickscsas
    Is led conductive?
    conductive enough, its made out of graphite, the same thing they make most resistors out of that you see all over the board
  13. No Profile Picture

I can personally attest to the super locked-edness of the latter Athlon XP's. The easiest way I've seen for unlocking the earlier XP's (Bartons) is the wire mod where you can use single copper strands of wire from a phone cord or speaker wire and bridge the gap between holes in the cpu socket. this can also be used to change their default voltage if your BIOS really sucks and doesn't allow you to change it. As for the Palominos (if anyone still cares about them), you have to perform the L1 bridge mod to unlock them. I currently have a 1700+ running at ~1.9 GHz after using a conductive pen to connect the bridges. There are also the L5 bridges you can use to to unlock earlier Bartons as well as turn them into their MP counterparts. Just a recap on some old common knowledge.
  15. www.devhardware.com/forums

To Original Poster:
    I am not an OC'er as I don't believer. But please check the link in my signature and be our guest at DevHardware forums. It is sister forum of DevShed and mainly concentrates on all aspects of hardware. OCing is one of most favorite hobbies of our forums members. I am sure we will be more than glad to have you there.

-tejas
    For your more complex hardware related problems, visit DevShed's sister forums: DevHardware
    If you don't already know about it, please checkout our guide to Folding@Home . Join DevHardware team and help cure diseases. Your support is valuable and much appreciated. *
  17. Contributing User

This may interest some of yas..

Duron 1400 as Athlon 2400+

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo