1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Which Processor should I go with??

Hello friends,
    I am a Mechanical Engineer and I am thinking of assembling my own computer with my friends help, I am really confused on which processor should I go with, its Pentium or AMD, please help me,
    I mostly use, Pro/Engineer, ANSYS/ABAQUS/NASTRAN softwares for designing and Analysis purpose and I would also like to have the Computer Supporting SAP, J2EE, Adobe Photoshop etc softwares too. I would like to have my CPU faster than Pentium 4 Processor.
    Which would you guys go for and which one you guys suggest me, Please help me in deciding this.

Thanks,
    Kumar
  3. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

right now i would recommend a Core 2 Duo based system (Socket LGA775), however this CPU is in short supply right now (it just came out) and can be hard to get for the next few weeks

if you decide to go AMD (as they have just dropped their price a lot) then i would recommend get a dual core CPU, the AM2 socket allows for more upgradability and uses DDR2 RAM

as for what speed you want, get the best you can afford, also if your doing a lot of complex cad projects then you might want to get a Nvidia Quadro as that is a video card designed for things like cad, though you would most likely be able to get away with a low end one, be aware that they are very expensive and you might just decide on a gamer video card (geforce 7800) of course if your only doing simple cad stuff or none of it then you can just get any chap card that fist your motherboard
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks for the information, I am thinking of AMD as they are cheaper than Pentium, what do you suggest in AMD Am2 socket one as they are many AMD processors available.
    Regarding CAD work, I do usually work with complex Models which are of sometimes 1 GB Assembly files in CAD, the file size sometimes goes upto 1GB, Could you tell me the Processor and the mother board in AMD, atleast two choices of Processors and mother boards, I will decide based on your suggestions.

Thanks,
    Kumar
  7. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

actually Intel's new CPU (conroe based) is very very cheap compared to the AMDs, the new $250 Intel CPU beats the $1000 AMD FX62 (AMD since dropped it to $700 or so because of this, many other CPUs got dropped more but not too much)

as for what one to get, it really depends on your budget, and you need to take into account your video card/ram/drive and other things besides just the just the cpu/motherboard

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo