1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

AMD Overclocking

Hi, i am running a AMD Sempron 1800+ processor on a ASUS A7V8X-X motherboard. I went into the BIOS to change the speed my CPU was running at from 1833Mhz to 2200Mhz. After i saved these and exited the BIOS the computer restarted, it only displayed a black screen, i pressed the reset button and nothing happened. I held the reset button and i got a message saying "DISK BOOT ERROR: INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". I then pressed enter hoping it would read from my Hard Drive, but i got the same message.

I then held the power button on my computer in for a few seconds till it powered down, i then booted it back up and the ASUS logo came on, it then went in to the system BIOS. The CPU was still set on 2200Mhz so i just exited the BIOS without saving, the same happened again. I set it back to 1833Mhz and it booted up properly.

Does anyone know if my CPU/MB can take overclocking
  3. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

first a sempron 1800+ does not run at 1.8Ghz, it runs at something under that (not sure exactly though)

anyways a jump of 400Mhz is large (and it sounds like your doing more), and i kinda doubt you can get it stable like that without increasing the core voltage, i think that you just tried to overclock it a lot more then it could take, when overclocking always increase it small amounts until its unstable and watch your temps closely

IMHO the sempron is fine for overclocking, but be aware that your probably not going to get as much out of it as you would like
    Last edited by edman007; August 11th, 2006 at 10:44 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Squidleydee
    Does anyone know if my CPU/MB can take overclocking
    Overclocking is a much more precise process when done properly. Remember, you're stressing these parts more than what they were originally intended to; you can't just expect to set it to how fast you want it to run and and expect it to work.

Besides, it's not just a matter of CPU and motherboard. See, the CPU determines its speed by the bus speed and a multiplier built into the CPU. If the bus does, say, 200MHz and the CPU multiplier (multi) is 10, the clockspeed is 2000MHz. If you increase the base bus clock to, say, 225MHz the CPU is trying to run at 2250MHz... but the RAM, at the other end of that interconnect, is also trying to run faster, and it can't always do it either.

For a better explanation of overclocking, read the Ultimate Overclocking & Stability Testing Guide at DevHardware.

Comments on this post

• edman007 agrees
  7. Contributing User

Like archnaid said start there.
    I just started to OC and it is all in the little steps to get a well tuned computer and each is different.
    So take notes and get all the info for your computer before you start.
    Trust me it will help,
    also run Everest and 3dmark01 before to use as a bench mark.
    It is work but worth it IF done right, don't rush you can really mess things up.

Comments on this post

• MudSlinger agrees

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo