1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Upgrading Processor... quick question!

I am upgrading my AMD Sempron 2800+ (1.6GHz) to something higher. I am looking into a processor with atleast 2.6GHz or higher. 64 or 32, doesn't really matter.

I believe it's a Socket A (it looked like an allen wrench could take out the processor). It was underneath of my heatsink instead of fan, which I thought was weird.

[Specs. in my sig. below]

Is it still possible to upgrade this machine to a faster processor? Does it matter if it is Intel or AMD?

Thanks in advanced!
    Last edited by phpdev4; September 21st, 2006 at 07:15 PM.
    Compaq Presario C762NR
    Windows XP Home Edition - HP OEM (SP3; Self-downgraded from VHP SP1)
    Intel Pentium D (2 x 1.73GHz)
    2 x 1GB G-SkiLL RAM (DDR2 @ 800MHz)
    160GB SATA 1.5Gb/s HD @ 5400RPM
  3. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

laptops don't have sockets (in general), that's why you you need to buy the most expensive laptop you can afford, they have almost no upgrade option, replacing the processor means replacing the motherboard, the motherboard is specific to the model of laptop and therefore a motherboard with a faster CPU means a new laptop (its theoretically possible to do, but you need soldering skills comparable to a multi-million dollar robot, and you would probably need to write a new BIOS, and the CPU without the socket is effectively impossible to get without getting a newer laptop and removing the CPU [or you can get them in bulk if you want over 1000 CPUs])

Comments on this post

• phpdev4 agrees : Better save for a new laptop than buy bulk! :)
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Good points. Thanks. I'll just save for a new model. What do you suggest that's got a good price and is reliable? I've used HP's and Compaq's for years, and refuse to waste another dollar on their junk.
    Compaq Presario C762NR
    Windows XP Home Edition - HP OEM (SP3; Self-downgraded from VHP SP1)
    Intel Pentium D (2 x 1.73GHz)
    2 x 1GB G-SkiLL RAM (DDR2 @ 800MHz)
    160GB SATA 1.5Gb/s HD @ 5400RPM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo