1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Upgrading from a 1.6Ghz Socket 478 Processor!!!

Hey guys,

My wife has a Net Vista X41 All-In-One computer. It's currently either a 1.6 or a 1.8Ghz P4 machine (I forget which). I noticed on NewEgg that there are a number of significantly faster processors that are available for under $100 bucks.

I COULD just get my wife a new machine, but she really likes the way this particular computer is compact.

[image](URL address blocked: See forum rules)[/image]

So, my only option at this point (for the next couple of years at least), is to just upgrade it. What I'd like to know is, can I put any type of processor that's a Socket 478 chip, on that mother board, and will it just automatically work?

Like I said, I think it has a 1.6 or a 1.8 P4 in it right now, but I saw on new egg a few processors that looked interesting:

Pentium 4 - Northwood 2.4Ghz Socket 478
    Pentium 4 - Northwood 2.8Ghz Socket 478
    Pentium 4 - Prescott 3.0Ghz Socket 478
    Pentium 4 - Prescott 3.0Ghz Socket 478 RoHS

Those are four chips that are currently available that look like upgrades to me. I don't see ANY jumpers or dip switches on the mother board. Are the processors plug and play? Will the BIOS simply just detect the new chip and allow me to use it?

Thanks guys!!!

Todd
  3. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that. Do you know the make/model of the motherboard ? If not, use CPU-Z to determine this and then post it here.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by aitken325i
    Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that. Do you know the make/model of the motherboard ? If not, use CPU-Z to determine this and then post it here.

Thanks! I really appreciate this. I'll run that on the machine when I get home and see what it does.
  7. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

you really need to determine the make/model of your motherboard, the motherboard *should* support anything that fits in that socket, but sometimes the BIOS is just too old to recognize the new CPU or its new features

a quick google shows that your computer is an IBM, looking at their site i see that the last BIOS update was in 2004, and because its an all in one system and i seen nothing suggesting extra supported processors i would have to say that its very unlikely that you can upgrade the CPU, with systems like its in the manufacturers best interest to make it not upgradeable so they will never work on support for new CPUs

if you want to take your chances i would say that you would have your best chance if you got a northwood P4 as thats is what you currently have, the BIOS will only have to adjust to the new clock and should have no problem at that, but there are no guarantees, you might need a new heatsink too, also there are 3Ghz Northwood P4s out there, i'm running one right now, but you need to look a little harder
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by edman007
    you really need to determine the make/model of your motherboard, the motherboard *should* support anything that fits in that socket, but sometimes the BIOS is just too old to recognize the new CPU or its new features
    Thanks guys... I went ahead and ordered a Northwood 2.8Ghz 478 chip. We'll see. If it works, it works, if not, I'll buy a used motherboard for it and give it to my parents.

Thanks!!!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo