1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Core 2 Duo 2ghz temp

When I run a video compression program, the CPU can get up to 170 F
    Is that too hot? Can it damage my computer?
    I'm using a Macbook, and after the internal fans kick in, it goes down to 150 F.
    Is that okay?
    I'm also using an external notebook fan.
    I know that this will reduce the life expectancy of of the processor, but will it cause any other problems?
  3. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

thats perfectly normal for the laptop CPUs, my core duo macbook pro hits 80'C, the CPU itself is rated for 100'C (212'F) so as long as its below that its ok
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by edman007
    thats perfectly normal for the laptop CPUs, my core duo macbook pro hits 80'C, the CPU itself is rated for 100'C (212'F) so as long as its below that its ok
    Oh
    Sweet
    Still that temp could damage other components, but I guess 170 isn't so bad.
  7. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

actually it will have no affect at all, the laptop is designed that way, if they allow all parts to get to a much higher temp then desktops then they can use smaller heatsinks and less fans, resulting in better battery life, so every part in the laptop is deigned for those very high temps, its one of the reasons the mac laptops are so small and quite

the one problem that this does cause is that your often can't use that laptop on your lap as the bottom will get 150'F making it very very uncomfortable to use like that, Apple says its not a laptop, its a "Notebook" so don't put it on your lap, but if you insist there is an app to adjust the fan idle speeds, which will reduce battery life and case/CPU temps and make it louder, smcFanControl
  9. No Profile Picture

you could also look into laptop coolers that it will sit on. my wifes had the same issue and getting a cooler dropped the temps a great deal.

check newegg Home > PCs & Notebooks > Notebooks & Accessories > Other Notebook Accessories > accessory type : Cooler ... there are a ton

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo