1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How big is a processor? The actual processor

I just ordered a Core 2 Duo E4300, first I though I had been frauded since I found no processor but when I looked a bit more I find a small 2-3 inch metal thing is that supposed to be the processor?

It's like half the size of my finger, is this correct?
  3. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

yup, thats it a socket 775 CPU has gold contacts on the bottom (no pins) and a steel plate on top covering the actual processor (the actual processor is about the size of your thumbnail and is sold without the steel cap for laptops)

if your buying a new one often the cheaper is the OEM model, that is the one that is meant to be sold to people like Dell who use their own heatsink to save money, though people making their own (like gamers) often want a better heatsink and can save cash too by getting an OEM CPU since they are going to use a more expensive heatsink anyways. If you want the CPU with all the paper, heatsink, manual etc your need to buy the one that is labeled as "Boxed" or "Retail", that version typically runs $10-20 more then the OEM
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Yeah, that was good to hear. I bought the thing from ebay and the seller said this thing worked to overclock up to 3.0GHz and the cooler seemed to be in mint condition, it looks better than my older coolers so I'm gonna try this one first if it's not that good then I might replace it but it looks good for a original cooler

I'm going a bit off-topic now, which is the best memory for this CPU? DDR2 800?

I'm thinking of going P35 chipset mobo as well, since those seem cheapest and best bang for the buck.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo