Thread: Upgrading CPU

1. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Upgrading CPU

Hi Guys,

Im currently running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ on an Asus M2NPV-VM M'board.....

I was thinking about upgrading the CPU to a 6400+ or even a quad core. Can my current mboard handle the 6400 cpu upgrade? Can I pop a quad core in?

ANy advice would be greatly appreciated
  3. Contributing User

Also, am I going to really notice the difference going from a 3800 to a 6400 ?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Wink

This is from the Asus Website:

"The motherboard supports AMD socket AM2 single-core Athlon 64/ Sempron and dual-core Athlon 64 X2/ Athlon 64 FX processors with 2MB / 1MB / 512KB L2 cache, which is based on 64-bit architecture. It features 2000 / 1600 MT/s HyperTransport Bus, dual-channel un-buffered DDR2 800 memory support and AMD Cool 'n' Quiet! Technology."

Looks to me that Quad core is a NO. But the Athlon 64 X2 6400+ will work just fine but make sure you flash the BIOS with the latest update from ASUS.

Yes you will see a nice performance increase depending on what you are doing. A CPU intense application or game
    will run smoother and respond quicker.

But remember that you also need to have at least 4gb of memory and a good quality top of the line video card to really see the performance increase too! The CPU alone will not give you your best performance increase without the other stuff upgraded too.

One last item...I went from a Athlon 64 X2 3800 65w to a Athlon 64 x2 5000 black edition and received a big big gain in overall system performance. Very happy with it too I might add!
    Last edited by starfireone; July 9th, 2008 at 08:34 PM. Reason: additional comment on cpu
  7. Contributing User

thanks for the GREAT advice

Where do I find instructions on 'flashing the bios' ? I havent done it before and I'm not sure what it involves.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

And, can you tell us why do you want to upgrade your processor ?

Gaming ? Multi-task ?

I am just asking because upgrading just your processor might not have any effect if others components are not up-to-date (depending on your utilization of course).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo