1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

AMD 4600+ memtest failure question

Hey guys, new here. I'm having some issues with my setup and I'm hoping someone can provide some insight for me.

the rig:
    AMD Athalon 4600+
    ASUS A8N-32 sli deluxe
    2x Wintec Ampo 512mb DDR400
    BFG 7950GT

I upgraded to SP3, and afterward the computer went into an endless restart cycle. I took it to resnet tech support here on campus, and they couldn't replicate the problem, but they did get a bsod (I can't remember what the error was), they ran memtest86 and it failed. I then bought new ram, 2x Patriot 1gb DDR400, installed it, and promptly failed memtest86 again. We ran memtest on all four sticks individually, and all of them failed. The tech told me the probable cause was a bad mobo or cpu. The mobo has no visible defects, and I'm wondering if I can get away with replacing the processor alone, or if I should go through the hassle of a mobo RMA as well. I would also like some clarification as to the AMD memory controller, as I've heard its on the chip itself, and I've heard memory controllers are mobo based.

Thanks in advance,
    omgwtfbbq!
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If it's the motherboard then replacing the processor isn't going to help. The processor should be fine. You don't need to replace that from the sounds of things, just the MB.

I then bought new ram, 2x Patriot 1gb DDR400, installed it, and promptly failed memtest86 again. We ran memtest on all four sticks individually, and all of them failed.
    Were these verified as good in a working computer? Make sure the memory is good before throwing more money at it! These sticks all probably came from the same batch, and sometimes a whole batch can have problems.

The mobo has no visible defects
    What were you expecting to see?
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by medialint

Were these verified as good in a working computer? Make sure the memory is good before throwing more money at it! These sticks all probably came from the same batch, and sometimes a whole batch can have problems.
    I had run the ram with no problems in the year and a half I've had the computer, I was looking to upgrade and this was a good excuse to spend $60. I haven't tested the ram in another computer yet, as soon as I find one I can test it on I will do so.

Originally Posted by medialint

What were you expecting to see?
    Well the obvious signs, blown capacitors, burnt circuits, actual physical damage. I didn't expect to find much, but it never hurts to look.

IMN logo majestic logo spyfu logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo