1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Measuring mobile cpu performance

I am in the market for a laptop computer and am trying to decide which processor to buy. They system Allows me to choose from several processors and the two I am considering are:
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor P7450 (2.13GHz, 3 MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor P8700 (2.53 GHz, 3 MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)

the second is $150 more expensive.

I have searched for some measure of performance difference to help me decide and I came across a website called notebookcheck.

one of the measures is a cpu 3d mark 06 and it rates the first processor a score of 1906 and the second 2254. However, I now need help interpreting these scores. And most importantly I am trying to find out if I would really benefit by spending the extra cash on the second processor. Thanks in advance.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

One thing you need to do, is to put it in perspective. Spending the extra money might not make a difference if you are running Vista with 256MB of ram. Look at the entire machine in order to find the weakest link and spend money to upgrade those parts.

What OS are you planning on running, how much ram, what do you plan to use the laptop for, etc.

Also you have to look at price/performance ration. If the computer is going to cost you $400 then spending an extra $150 to only gain a 5% speed increase doesn't make much sense.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo