Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
    #1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    258
    Rep Power
    56

    CPU and RAM fine, yet slow PC


    First off, there is no spyware or viruses on this PC--i've run every imaginable program to detect and nothing is found.

    The CPU is dated but should be adequate (2.40GHZ single core), and the RAM is 3GB dual channel. Given these specs, it seems unreasonable that software (i.e. ArcGIS) should take 3-4 minutes to open, but that's exactly what happens. It's not a network issue either, as we just purchased a new PC running the same software and it opens in seconds.

    My question is this: is there any incompatibility that would cause this problem that is seemingly between the RAM and CPU? I'm wondering if whomever did the RAM upgrade on this machine put in a 3rd party stick and it's simply bad memory. Is that possible? What would be some other possibilities? I updated the chipset drivers to the latest, etc. I'm out of ideas.

    Thanks!
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,102
    Rep Power
    1767
    Have you done a memtest ?

    have you cleared all the logs, caches, and temp folders etc. et.al ?
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    258
    Rep Power
    56
    Originally Posted by tj_nt
    Have you done a memtest ?

    have you cleared all the logs, caches, and temp folders etc. et.al ?
    I'm not familiar with memtest, but i have done all the rest. Checked the page file, defrag, cleaned temp folders, etc.

    Can you link me to memtest?
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,102
    Rep Power
    1767
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    258
    Rep Power
    56
    Thanks, but when I run that program it says it doesn't work on DOS or Windows and it wants me to create a floppy disk. The PC in question doesn't even have an A: drive.

    I'll look for a different memory test.
  10. #6
  11. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    London, ON
    Posts
    322
    Rep Power
    215
    You can run it from a CD. I have a burned copy of memtest x86 around here somewhere xD
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0
    how old is your computer ?
  14. #8
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    258
    Rep Power
    56
    Originally Posted by john1345
    how old is your computer ?
    7 years old
  16. #9
  17. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0
    If your PC is 7 years old and you using Vista in it then definitely it would help you out. If you could specify your PC configuration then probably it will be easy for me to provide you solution.

    Regards,
    Kristina
    Techsoft.org
  18. #10
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    258
    Rep Power
    56
    Originally Posted by kristinacallis
    If your PC is 7 years old and you using Vista in it then definitely it would help you out. If you could specify your PC configuration then probably it will be easy for me to provide you solution.

    Regards,
    Kristina
    Techsoft.org
    thanks.

    it's a dell pc, about 7 years old, running xp pro, 2.0ghz processor, 4gb of ram. virtual memory and such is all configured for optimal speed. virus protection found nothing. the pc is just very slow, so i was wondering how much the processor speed in conjunction with ram would affect performance.

    thanks.
  20. #11
  21. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0
    Well 2.0 Ghz is too low ... now a days minimum 3 + ghz is required. Or Core 2 due or dual core Ht technology is more powerful. DDR3 4 GB Ram etc. All these thing will certainly contribute to perform better.

    Any big software like MS Visual studio DotNet and other anivirus software will slower your computer.

    Regards,
    Kristina

    Comments on this post

    • jzd disagrees : Sorry but I don't think these requirements are based on anything.
  22. #12
  23. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,940
    Rep Power
    3117
    kristinacallis, sorry but I disagree a 2.4 single core should not be the bottleneck. What is the minimum of 3 based on?


    CallowAdmin, is this a recent change? How fast is your hard drive, I would look there first if the issue is load up time.
  24. #13
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    258
    Rep Power
    56
    Originally Posted by jzd
    kristinacallis, sorry but I disagree a 2.4 single core should not be the bottleneck. What is the minimum of 3 based on?


    CallowAdmin, is this a recent change? How fast is your hard drive, I would look there first if the issue is load up time.
    The PC has been slow for some time, so I put more RAM in it, yet didn't notice any increased performance. I checked the manual and the RAM is in the right slot etc. I did a memory test and it checked out okay.

    The hard drive is 5400 rpm.

    thanks.
  26. #14
  27. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    nr Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    14,382
    Rep Power
    3848
    Don't think this is a hardware issue to be honest. Windows gets bloated after a period of time and after 7 years, I would think it would be VERY bloated with temp files, installation logs, files left over from installations, un-used files that should be archived off, un-used applications etc and last but not least, the registry which after 7 years will be huge!

    Also, have a look in the task manager and see if there are any specific processes eating the CPU.

    Is this a stand alone machine or on a domain ?
    Last edited by aitken325i; December 10th, 2009 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Questions!
    The No Ma'am commandments:

    1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  28. #15
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    258
    Rep Power
    56
    Originally Posted by aitken325i
    Don't think this is a hardware issue to be honest. Windows gets bloated after a period of time and after 7 years, I would think it would be VERY bloated with temp files, installation logs, files left over from installations, un-used files that should be archived off, un-used applications etc and last but not least, the registry which after 7 years will be huge!

    Also, have a look in the task manager and see if there are any specific processes eating the CPU.

    Is this a stand alone machine or on a domain ?
    it's on a domain.

    i figured the registry would be an issue so i used a cleaner on it.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo