Thread: CPU MHz Problem

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

CPU MHz Problem

Hi,

I have a Fujitsu Siemens laptop with an AMD 64 Mobile Athlon Processor. When I bought it I was told that it should be 2000MHz but when I check in the System Properties (right click my computer) I have the processor marked at only 798MHz.

I therefore downloaded AMD CPUInfo from the AMD Website and this showed me that the Current Processor Speed was 798MHz but the Max Speed was 2000MHz. Therefore I downloaded the AMD Driver from their website. Now the AMD CPUInfo shows me both the Current and Max Processor Speed to be 2000MHz. However from System Properties the processor is still marked at 798MHz.

My question are; how can I know the real speed of the processor? and secondly - if it is really running at 2000MHz (its maximum speed) then am I risking burning the processor!

Regards,
    Sim085

p.s. - after doing the patch I can hear the internal fan going much more often and at higher speeds then before! ... I am scared! :-|
    Last edited by sim085; October 13th, 2009 at 02:41 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I un-installed the AMD Driver today! Not just because the fan was continually running but also because the screen started flickering every few seconds and in different parts of the screen. After I un-installed the driver the fan started to work normal again and there was no more flickering. Note that flickering occurred more often when fan was running at very high speeds.

Could the flickering be a problem with my power supply?

And can I for example put the processor speed at 1500MHz rather then the maximum of 2000Mhz?

I am not that sorry with 800Mhz but would really like to squeeze a little more from the machine - when I program with several windows open, with 800Mhz the machine becomes really slow!
    Last edited by sim085; October 13th, 2009 at 02:44 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

There should be a setting in the BIOS to set the CPU voltage (MHz)
  7. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Are you looking at these settings with the computer plugged in or on battery power? What is the exact model of computer and cpu? What power plan is your computer set on? Many computers have software to vary the cpu speed depending on the load at the time, so you may just be seeing that.

The fan running and screen flickering sound like heat due to the cpu running full bore all the time, rather than a power supply issue, so once the speed is sorted out you should be set.

You can see performance information using performance monitor. In windows xp click start->run->perfmon then right click and 'add counters' and select 'ProcessorFrequency' in the "performance object" box. Change the axes so the Y axis max is 2000.

In Vista, windowkey+r brings up the run dialog, type perfmon.exe to bring up performance monitor. Click "performance monitor" on the right column, then click "properties" (top row, right of center) then click "add", then under Processor Performance click "Processor Frequency" and add it. Change the graph type to "report" and it will show the frequency in real time.

What are the results?
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi karsh44,

First of all thank you very much for your reply. It was informative to say the least. I answered some of the questions below.

Originally Posted by karsh44
    Are you looking at these settings with the computer plugged in or on battery power? What is the exact model of computer and cpu? What power plan is your computer set on? Many computers have software to vary the cpu speed depending on the load at the time, so you may just be seeing that.
    I have always looked at the settings with the laptop plugged in. I have Windows XP at the moment but cannot understand from where to turn on/off this may be the reason why the processor is maxed to 800MHz.

The fan running and screen flickering sound like heat due to the cpu running full bore all the time, rather than a power supply issue, so once the speed is sorted out you should be set.
    Thanks, this is why I uninstalled the plug in. I was afraid I could damage it if I left it running at 2000MHz. Although according to the AMD CPUInfo this is the maximum of the cpu, I think it was not meant to run at that speed!

You can see performance information using performance monitor. In windows xp click start->run->perfmon then right click and 'add counters' and select 'ProcessorFrequency' in the "performance object" box. Change the axes so the Y axis max is 2000.

In Vista, windowkey+r brings up the run dialog, type perfmon.exe to bring up performance monitor. Click "performance monitor" on the right column, then click "properties" (top row, right of center) then click "add", then under Processor Performance click "Processor Frequency" and add it. Change the graph type to "report" and it will show the frequency in real time.

What are the results?
    The % Processor Time changes all the time. Usually it stays very low when doing simple things such as sending an email. However playing a flash game will immediately max it to 100!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

CPUs are designed to run at their maximum clock speed for their entire lives. You could probably run your CPU at 2200 Mhz for the next 2200 hours and not have any problems. Additionally, it's pretty difficult to actually damage a CPU because modern ones will turn themselves off if they get too hot. CPUs are underclocked primarily to save battery power, they are never underclocked by the manufacturer because they are not capable of continuously running at their rated speed.

If I were you I would download a program called SpeedFan and use that to check your CPU temperature. If your computer idles above 70 degrees Celsius you probably have a problem. Otherwise you're probably fine.

It makes sense to underclock if you want to save battery power. If you're running it plugged in then it doesn't make self to underclock it unless the fan noise itself is too loud. The fact that the fans are running does not indicate that there is a problem.

If you have heat problems you're better of fixing those rather than underclocking the processor. The way to diagnose a heat problem is by downloading a heat sensor monitoring program, not by listening to the fans.
    Last edited by E-Oreo; October 17th, 2009 at 05:38 PM.
  13. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by sim085
    The % Processor Time changes all the time. Usually it stays very low when doing simple things such as sending an email. However playing a flash game will immediately max it to 100!
    The counter you want is not "% Processor Time", but "Processor Frequency". Also, "% of Processor Frequency" could be useful.

As E-Oreo said, running at full speed shouldn't cause a problem, though shouldn't and won't aren't always the same thing. Check out speedfan and see what it says for temperatures as well.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

As E-Oreo said, running at full speed shouldn't cause a problem, though shouldn't and won't aren't always the same thing. Check out speedfan and see what it says for temperatures as well.
    Hi, I downloaded speedfan and re-installed the AMD driver. When the processor is running at 800MHZ the tempreture idles at 51C while when running at 2000MHz the tempreture idles at 53C-56C! Not such a big difference. However the screen flickering is still there!

Note that even though the CPU should run according to battery power mine when plugged or unplugged will always run at 800MHz

Can't I in some way or another set the CPU to run at for example 1500MHz? I checked the BIOS but there doesn't seem to be any option there either!

!!!! P.S - Note that when I run something with flash the CPU tempreture jumps to 73C and idles at 65C flickering is much more frequent as well !!!!
    Last edited by sim085; October 20th, 2009 at 02:30 PM.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The flickering sounds like a defect, I think the most likely cause is a power problem. I've never heard of flickering being caused by heat and correlation does not imply causation.

It's also possible that the flickering is caused bad shielding on some component, possibly even an external component. It took me about a year to figure out that ****ty shielding on my USB tv tuner was responsible for vertical lines running through my LCD.

On most laptops the processor speed is controlled by Windows, so it will only adjust automatically according to whether you are running on AC or battery power if Windows is correctly configured to switch power profiles automatically.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    The flickering sounds like a defect, I think the most likely cause is a power problem. I've never heard of flickering being caused by heat and correlation does not imply causation.
    The thing is that I notice these problems only when the CPU is running at 2000MHz - when running at 800MHz there is no flickering. Additionally I tried a different power supply and also strait on battery - when CPU is at 2000MHz it flickers, otherwise no. Flickering seems to increase with heat, that is at 55C there is little to no flickering while at 75C there is plenty of more flickering!

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    On most laptops the processor speed is controlled by Windows, so it will only adjust automatically according to whether you are running on AC or battery power if Windows is correctly configured to switch power profiles automatically.
    I mostly (nearly always) use my laptop connected to the power supply so there should be no power issue! However my windows does not seem to make a difference by always running the CPU at 800MHz!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo