Thread: I7 info/help

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I7 info/help

Hi every one.

I am in a bit of a quandry and figured that asking for some clarity may be a good idea.

I am looking at building a pc for home that will ultimately become a server/gaming pc. I am interested in flight simulators and have both xplane and MS flightsim x.

Now my question, I have been looking at the Intel i7-970 hexa core cpu but now that Intel has released the I7 2600K I am wondering what to do. All the bench marks that I have seen says that the 2600K series leaves the 970 for dead in gaming which sounds ideal for xplane but i believe a better graphic card may be a better option, any guidance?

Also as mentiioned eventually I want to use this as a web/mail server through vm ware as well as gaming. I currently have a ms exchange 2003 server and a Centos web server running on P4 processors. These two machines have run like dolls for years however my electric bill with these 2 machines running 24x7 are astronomical and I figure a 64 bit machine running windows 2011 SBS server as a virtual machine would probably help with our electricity issue, now I am thinking hexacore machine would be better but I am not to sure how the processor allocations work in VM ware,

The limits of SBS is 4 cores so if running in vm ware will it use 4 cores and windows 7 use 2 cores is this how it works?

if not then I will stick with the 2600K as the extra 2 cores are no use to me unless I am looking at windows 2008 R2 server with exchange which will become prohabitively expensive for a small business.

thanks
    ikhan42
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Personally, i'd build two machines. Your gaming machine and your server machine. The problem with having them both on one machine is they will slow each other down. Sure, you'll have a quick machine but that will certainly take the edge away. I'd expect some noticeable FPS drops.

As far as what CPU to get, they're both good. Just depends how much you want to spend. You are correct in thinking that a better GPU will be more beneficial in games. Most games are coded to give the GPU the work load.

If you're going to make it a Server/Game machine make sure you have plenty of RAM. I'd say at least 8 gigs.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo