1. Since 439000000
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

9x9 grid - opera 3x27 grid - ie crossword

Hey everyone,

I have been working on a sudoku php / html game using sessions but I have run into an issue. Here is the link to my page http://waynemarsh.byethost9.com/sudoku.php , my problem is that in Opera and IE the page doesn't look like i would think the code says it would.

in firefox, safari, epiphany, konqueror, firefox 1.0-2.0, mozilla 1.7/netscape 7, it looks great

in netscape 6 it shows 3 9x3 grids on top of each other about 2 pixels offset

in IE 5/5.5/6/7 & opera 7 it looks like a crossword

in opera 8/9 it looks like 9 3x3 grids in one column

of course netscape <= 4.8, ie <= 4, it just doesn't show, who uses them anyway?

in lynx well, it's lynx, all the text inputs show up below each other so there are 81 vertical inputs

from what I see in the code, it should show fine. anyone have any ideas? what could it be? i'm mostly worried about the opera browsers

the issue seems like it's somewhere with .sudoku_grid
    Last edited by acidfourtyfive; December 16th, 2006 at 05:36 AM.
  3. Thanks Johnny Hart (BC) R.I.P.

Why are you not using a table or tables for this? Since the various elements of the grid have positional relationships, it's a table by definition.

If this is just an exercise, strip things down to a single 3 input row, then a 3&#215;3 input grid. Get that working, then form the master grid by making a 3&#215;3 grid of grids.

Get the smallest things working and tested before combining/growing the application.

cheers,

gary

Comments on this post

• acidfourtyfive agrees : You know, that's what my C/C++ teacher said while in college...
    There are those who manage to build a web site without knowing what they're doing; thereby proving to themselves they do, indeed, know what they're doing.

My html and css workshop, demos and tutorials.
    Ask a better question, get a better answer.
  5. Since 439000000

Originally Posted by kk5st
    Why are you not using a table or tables for this? Since the various elements of the grid have positional relationships, it's a table by definition.

If this is just an exercise, strip things down to a single 3 input row, then a 33 input grid. Get that working, then form the master grid by making a 33 grid of grids.

Get the smallest things working and tested before combining/growing the application.

cheers,

gary
    That almost sounds too sane to work...

THANKS!!!
  7. Since 439000000

Well I fixed it, but I don't know how. I didn't change my code. I just changed the code around my code to centre the page.

Then the "crosswords" in IE disappeared but the 3x3 grids were still going all the way across the screen so that I had 3 3x3's going down because they had a clear:left; and the ones with clear:none; just kept going across the screen until they got to the width of the page I defined for the outer wrap.

Seeing this I just created a div around the entire sudoku, which I thought I already had, and gave it a width. This fixed it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo